The Battle of Longwoods Event

    Message 1 of 19 , May 11, 2002
      From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

      Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
      wear issue head dress?

      Gord,
      Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
      Militia
      were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
      The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
      the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
      Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
      was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
      Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
      buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

      Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

      From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

      I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
      In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
      collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
      MRSC is the Society.

      Gord
      I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
      That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
      It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
      look
      for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
      others
      as well ........

      Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
      more of this matter.
      Message 2 of 19 , May 11, 2002
        From: <easeufe@...>

        > > Provincial Marines
        > >
        > Huh!
        >
        > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

        ______________

        Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

        But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
        so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 19 , May 11, 2002
          Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
          given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
          job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
          of the planned action.

          Regards,

          Bob Dorian
          USA
        • gord_1812
          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2002
            > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
            >
            > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
            > wear issue head dress?
            >
            > Gord,
            > Documentation tells us that the 1st
            Regiment Kent
            > Militia
            > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
            documented.
            > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
            during
            > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
            the
            > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
            kit. My kit
            > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
            > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
            gaiters,
            > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
            Kents.

            Thanks for the update.

            > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
            Warrant?

            Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

            Gord
          • cplwattie
            Message 5 of 19 , May 11, 2002
              Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
              the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
              a difficult concept?

              > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
              > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
              easiest
              > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
              get off
              > of the planned action.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Bob Dorian
              > USA
            • cplwattie
              Message 6 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                Warrant?
                Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                Cpl. Wattie
                (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
              • davebevca
                Message 7 of 19 , May 12, 2002
                  I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                  better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                  Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                  fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                  be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                  Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                  that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                  proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                  units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                  Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                  the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                  du sauvage".
                  Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                  any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                  Dave.