Re: The Battle of Longwoods Event

  • cplwattie
    Message 1 of 19 , May 10, 2002
      > To cplwattie et all:
      > it don't work that way .........

      Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
      march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
      singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
      Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
      IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
      Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
      there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
      up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
      favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
      requests).
      You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
      of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
      The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
      I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
      units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
      Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

      > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
      > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
      > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
      > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
      This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
      things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
      grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
      also listen to the play-by-play ...
      Message 2 of 19 , May 11, 2002
        From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

        Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
        wear issue head dress?

        Gord,
        Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
        Militia
        were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
        The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
        the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
        Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
        was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
        Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
        buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

        Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

        From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

        I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
        In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
        collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
        MRSC is the Society.

        Gord
        I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
        That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
        It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
        look
        for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
        others
        as well ........

        Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
        more of this matter.
        Message 3 of 19 , May 11, 2002
          From: <easeufe@...>

          > > Provincial Marines
          > >
          > Huh!
          >
          > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

          ______________

          Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

          But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
          so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
        • dancingbobd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2002
            Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
            given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
            job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
            of the planned action.

            Regards,

            Bob Dorian
            USA
          • gord_1812
            Message 5 of 19 , May 11, 2002
              > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
              >
              > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
              > wear issue head dress?
              >
              > Gord,
              > Documentation tells us that the 1st
              Regiment Kent
              > Militia
              > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
              documented.
              > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
              during
              > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
              the
              > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
              kit. My kit
              > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
              > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
              gaiters,
              > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
              Kents.

              Thanks for the update.

              > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
              Warrant?

              Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

              Gord
            • cplwattie
              Message 6 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                a difficult concept?

                > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                easiest
                > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                get off
                > of the planned action.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Bob Dorian
                > USA
              • cplwattie
                Message 7 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                  > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                  Warrant?
                  Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                  kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                  his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                  There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                  Cpl. Wattie
                  (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                • davebevca
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 12, 2002
                    I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                    better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                    Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                    fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                    be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                    Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                    that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                    proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                    units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                    Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                    the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                    du sauvage".
                    Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                    any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                    Dave.