Re: [WarOf1812] The Battle of Longwoods Event

  • easeufe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 10, 2002
      In a message dated 5/10/02 11:36:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lalozon@... writes:

      > Provincial Marines

      Huh!

      Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

      Ed Seufert, LCpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      1st Co/2nd Batt RM

    • cplwattie
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10, 2002
        > To cplwattie et all:
        > it don't work that way .........

        Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
        march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
        singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
        Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
        IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
        Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
        there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
        up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
        favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
        requests).
        You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
        of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
        The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
        I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
        units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
        Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

        > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
        > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
        > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
        > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
        This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
        things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
        grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
        also listen to the play-by-play ...
        Message 3 of 19 , May 11, 2002
          From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

          Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
          wear issue head dress?

          Gord,
          Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
          Militia
          were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
          The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
          the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
          Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
          was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
          Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
          buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

          Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

          From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

          I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
          In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
          collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
          MRSC is the Society.

          Gord
          I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
          That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
          It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
          look
          for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
          others
          as well ........

          Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
          more of this matter.
          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2002
            From: <easeufe@...>

            > > Provincial Marines
            > >
            > Huh!
            >
            > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

            ______________

            Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

            But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
            so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 19 , May 11, 2002
              Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
              given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
              job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
              of the planned action.

              Regards,

              Bob Dorian
              USA
            • gord_1812
              Message 6 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                >
                > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                > wear issue head dress?
                >
                > Gord,
                > Documentation tells us that the 1st
                Regiment Kent
                > Militia
                > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
                documented.
                > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
                during
                > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
                the
                > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
                kit. My kit
                > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
                gaiters,
                > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
                Kents.

                Thanks for the update.

                > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                Warrant?

                Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

                Gord
              • cplwattie
                Message 7 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                  Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                  the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                  a difficult concept?

                  > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                  > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                  easiest
                  > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                  get off
                  > of the planned action.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Bob Dorian
                  > USA
                • cplwattie
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                    > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                    Warrant?
                    Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                    kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                    his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                    There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                    Cpl. Wattie
                    (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                  • davebevca
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 12, 2002
                      I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                      better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                      Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                      fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                      be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                      Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                      that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                      proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                      units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                      Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                      the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                      du sauvage".
                      Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                      any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                      Dave.