Re: The Battle of Longwoods Event

  • gord_1812
    Message 1 of 19 , May 10, 2002
      > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
      >

      > Who are called Indian department ?
      >
      > are you asking or telling ?!?

      That is the name I know them as but I was leaving space for a member
      to correct me.

      Gord
    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10, 2002
        In a message dated 5/10/02 11:36:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        lalozon@... writes:

        > Provincial Marines

        Huh!

        Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

      • cplwattie
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10, 2002
          > To cplwattie et all:
          > it don't work that way .........

          Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
          march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
          singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
          Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
          IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
          Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
          there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
          up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
          favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
          requests).
          You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
          of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
          The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
          I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
          units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
          Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

          > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
          > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
          > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
          > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
          This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
          things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
          grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
          also listen to the play-by-play ...
          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2002
            From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

            Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
            wear issue head dress?

            Gord,
            Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
            Militia
            were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
            The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
            the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
            Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
            was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
            Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
            buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

            Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

            From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

            I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
            In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
            collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
            MRSC is the Society.

            Gord
            I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
            That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
            It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
            look
            for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
            others
            as well ........

            Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
            more of this matter.
            Message 5 of 19 , May 11, 2002
              From: <easeufe@...>

              > > Provincial Marines
              > >
              > Huh!
              >
              > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

              ______________

              Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

              But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
              so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
            • dancingbobd@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
                job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
                of the planned action.

                Regards,

                Bob Dorian
                USA
              • gord_1812
                Message 7 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                  > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                  >
                  > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                  > wear issue head dress?
                  >
                  > Gord,
                  > Documentation tells us that the 1st
                  Regiment Kent
                  > Militia
                  > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
                  documented.
                  > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
                  during
                  > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
                  the
                  > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
                  kit. My kit
                  > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                  > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
                  gaiters,
                  > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
                  Kents.

                  Thanks for the update.

                  > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                  Warrant?

                  Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

                  Gord
                • cplwattie
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                    Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                    the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                    a difficult concept?

                    > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                    > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                    easiest
                    > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                    get off
                    > of the planned action.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Bob Dorian
                    > USA
                  • cplwattie
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                      > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                      Warrant?
                      Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                      kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                      his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                      There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                      Cpl. Wattie
                      (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                    • davebevca
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 12, 2002
                        I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                        better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                        Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                        fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                        be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                        Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                        that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                        proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                        units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                        Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                        the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                        du sauvage".
                        Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                        any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                        Dave.