The Battle of Longwoods Event

    Message 1 of 19 , May 10 8:33 PM
      From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

      Who are called Indian department ?

      are you asking or telling ?!?
    • gord_1812
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10 8:44 PM
        > From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...>
        >

        > " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

        I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
        In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (
        That's green collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
        MRSC is the Society.

        I hope this helps.

        Gord

        > To cplwattie et all:
        >
        > it don't work that way .........
        >
        > Your members show up at the event and register, the site cares
        > not of the Whatever Re-enactment Society.
      • gord_1812
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10 8:46 PM
          > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
          >

          > Who are called Indian department ?
          >
          > are you asking or telling ?!?

          That is the name I know them as but I was leaving space for a member
          to correct me.

          Gord
        • easeufe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , May 10 8:54 PM
            In a message dated 5/10/02 11:36:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lalozon@... writes:

            > Provincial Marines

            Huh!

            Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

            Ed Seufert, LCpl
            1812 Royal Marines
            1st Co/2nd Batt RM

          • cplwattie
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10 10:58 PM
              > To cplwattie et all:
              > it don't work that way .........

              Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
              march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
              singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
              Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
              IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
              Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
              there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
              up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
              favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
              requests).
              You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
              of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
              The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
              I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
              units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
              Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

              > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
              > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
              > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
              > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
              This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
              things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
              grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
              also listen to the play-by-play ...
              Message 6 of 19 , May 11 10:51 AM
                From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                wear issue head dress?

                Gord,
                Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
                Militia
                were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
                The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
                the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
                Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
                was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
                buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

                Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

                From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

                I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
                collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                MRSC is the Society.

                Gord
                I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
                That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
                It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
                look
                for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
                others
                as well ........

                Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
                more of this matter.
                Message 7 of 19 , May 11 11:01 AM
                  From: <easeufe@...>

                  > > Provincial Marines
                  > >
                  > Huh!
                  >
                  > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                  ______________

                  Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

                  But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
                  so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 11 11:51 AM
                    Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                    given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
                    job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
                    of the planned action.

                    Regards,

                    Bob Dorian
                    USA
                  • gord_1812
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 11 8:04 PM
                      > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                      >
                      > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                      > wear issue head dress?
                      >
                      > Gord,
                      > Documentation tells us that the 1st
                      Regiment Kent
                      > Militia
                      > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
                      documented.
                      > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
                      during
                      > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
                      the
                      > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
                      kit. My kit
                      > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                      > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
                      gaiters,
                      > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
                      Kents.

                      Thanks for the update.

                      > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                      Warrant?

                      Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

                      Gord
                    • cplwattie
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 11 9:59 PM
                        Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                        the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                        a difficult concept?

                        > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                        > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                        easiest
                        > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                        get off
                        > of the planned action.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Bob Dorian
                        > USA
                      • cplwattie
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 11 10:08 PM
                          > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                          Warrant?
                          Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                          kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                          his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                          There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                          Cpl. Wattie
                          (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                        • davebevca
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 12 6:47 AM
                            I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                            better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                            Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                            fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                            be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                            Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                            that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                            proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                            units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                            Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                            the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                            du sauvage".
                            Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                            any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                            Dave.