The Battle of Longwoods Event

    Message 1 of 19 , May 10 8:32 PM
      From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@...>

      " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

      To cplwattie et all:

      it don't work that way .........

      Your members show up at the event and register, the site cares
      not of the Whatever Re-enactment Society. They are more
      interested what regiment they are representing. The Site then supplies
      me with a list of all the re-created Regiments attending and I read
      that list off for the spectators. If your members don't register or
      don't mention the Regiment name or number .......
      'NO MENTION' by the Announcer. The city or area is usually
      the average registered. So, tell all your members to register.

      The list given me by the co-ordinators of the Battle of Longwoods
      reads exactly:

      Royal Nfd Reg
      Dolsen's Rifles
      Kings
      Norfolk Militia
      Provincial Marines
      Lincoln Militia
      Ramas
      Seneca Runners
      Independant
      Inc. Militia
      6th Regt of Foot
      Br Indep Dept
      Niagara Arms
      Hist Collectors
      Freeman
      King's Co
      10th Royal Vets
      25th Us
      Voyageurs
      Glengarry Light Inf
      IMUC
      Brant Muzzleloaders
      Four Directions flint and feathers
      KMRS (US) 27th
      Camlachie mil
      89 Grenadiers of foot
      Norfolk
      8th
      16th US Inf
      1st Norfolk
      Wentworth Re-enactment
      89th
      Upper Canada Lining History
      49th Grenadiers

      Note: Spelling exactly as on the list given me

      And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
      didn't hear some that means you were doing what
      you were supposed to be doing. Following your
      Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.

      Also, if your members don't register or don't mention
      what regiment your portray, then it ain't read of.
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10 8:33 PM
        From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

        Who are called Indian department ?

        are you asking or telling ?!?
      • gord_1812
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10 8:44 PM
          > From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...>
          >

          > " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

          I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
          In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (
          That's green collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
          MRSC is the Society.

          I hope this helps.

          Gord

          Message 4 of 19 , May 10 8:46 PM
            > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
            >

            > Who are called Indian department ?
            >
            > are you asking or telling ?!?

            That is the name I know them as but I was leaving space for a member
            to correct me.

            Gord
          • easeufe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10 8:54 PM
              In a message dated 5/10/02 11:36:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              lalozon@... writes:

              > Provincial Marines

              Huh!

              Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

              Ed Seufert, LCpl
              1812 Royal Marines
              1st Co/2nd Batt RM

            • cplwattie
              Message 6 of 19 , May 10 10:58 PM
                > To cplwattie et all:
                > it don't work that way .........

                Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
                march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
                singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
                Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
                IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
                Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
                there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
                up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
                favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
                requests).
                You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
                of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
                The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
                I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
                units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
                Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

                > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
                > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
                > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
                > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
                This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
                things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
                grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
                also listen to the play-by-play ...
                Message 7 of 19 , May 11 10:51 AM
                  From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                  Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                  wear issue head dress?

                  Gord,
                  Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
                  Militia
                  were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
                  The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
                  the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
                  Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
                  was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                  Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
                  buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

                  Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

                  From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

                  I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                  In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
                  collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                  MRSC is the Society.

                  Gord
                  I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
                  That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
                  It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
                  look
                  for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
                  others
                  as well ........

                  Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
                  more of this matter.
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 11 11:01 AM
                    From: <easeufe@...>

                    > > Provincial Marines
                    > >
                    > Huh!
                    >
                    > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                    ______________

                    Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

                    But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
                    so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
                  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 11 11:51 AM
                      Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                      given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
                      job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
                      of the planned action.

                      Regards,

                      Bob Dorian
                      USA
                    • gord_1812
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 11 8:04 PM
                        > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                        >
                        > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                        > wear issue head dress?
                        >
                        > Gord,
                        > Documentation tells us that the 1st
                        Regiment Kent
                        > Militia
                        > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
                        documented.
                        > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
                        during
                        > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
                        the
                        > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
                        kit. My kit
                        > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                        > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
                        gaiters,
                        > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
                        Kents.

                        Thanks for the update.

                        > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                        Warrant?

                        Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

                        Gord
                      • cplwattie
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 11 9:59 PM
                          Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                          the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                          a difficult concept?

                          > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                          > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                          easiest
                          > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                          get off
                          > of the planned action.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Bob Dorian
                          > USA
                        • cplwattie
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 11 10:08 PM
                            > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                            Warrant?
                            Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                            kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                            his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                            There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                            Cpl. Wattie
                            (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                          • davebevca
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 12 6:47 AM
                              I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                              better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                              Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                              fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                              be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                              Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                              that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                              proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                              units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                              Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                              the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                              du sauvage".
                              Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                              any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                              Dave.