The Battle of Longwoods Event

    Message 1 of 19 , May 10 7:29 PM
      From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

      " ... The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
      crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat
      with a uniform? Is there actually documentation of such hats?

      Gord,

      You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!

      The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
      One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".

      Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
      and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.

      Your humble servant,

      The Announcer

      -----
    • cplwattie
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10 8:09 PM
        Funny, but I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.
        Must be one of those sound shadows ...
        It might forestall hard feelings if the units participating are
        mentioned when they trot past. Otherwise, you get IMUC marching past
        and the announcer thanking the "corps du sauvage"

        Minor point: A thoroughly enjoyable start to the season otherwise.

        > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
        >

        > " ... The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
        > crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat
        > with a uniform? Is there actually documentation of such hats?
        >
        > Gord,
        >
        > You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!
        >
        > The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
        > One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".
        >
        > Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
        > and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.
        >
        > Your humble servant,
        >
        > The Announcer
        >
        > -----
      • gord_1812
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10 8:22 PM
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...> wrote:
          > Funny, but I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks
          either.
          > Must be one of those sound shadows ...
          > It might forestall hard feelings if the units participating are
          > mentioned when they trot past. Otherwise, you get IMUC marching
          past
          > and the announcer thanking the "corps du sauvage"

          Who are called Indian department ?

          Gord

          Your not so humble servant!
        • gord_1812
          Message 4 of 19 , May 10 8:30 PM
            > You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!
            Naw I was listening for it so I could give a good Huzaa!

            > The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
            > One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".
            >
            > Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
            > and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.
            Ok but with a uniform? Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
            wear issue head dress?

            Gord
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10 8:32 PM
              From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@...>

              " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

              To cplwattie et all:

              it don't work that way .........

              Your members show up at the event and register, the site cares
              not of the Whatever Re-enactment Society. They are more
              interested what regiment they are representing. The Site then supplies
              me with a list of all the re-created Regiments attending and I read
              that list off for the spectators. If your members don't register or
              don't mention the Regiment name or number .......
              'NO MENTION' by the Announcer. The city or area is usually
              the average registered. So, tell all your members to register.

              The list given me by the co-ordinators of the Battle of Longwoods
              reads exactly:

              Royal Nfd Reg
              Dolsen's Rifles
              Kings
              Norfolk Militia
              Provincial Marines
              Lincoln Militia
              Ramas
              Seneca Runners
              Independant
              Inc. Militia
              6th Regt of Foot
              Br Indep Dept
              Niagara Arms
              Hist Collectors
              Freeman
              King's Co
              10th Royal Vets
              25th Us
              Voyageurs
              Glengarry Light Inf
              IMUC
              Brant Muzzleloaders
              Four Directions flint and feathers
              KMRS (US) 27th
              Camlachie mil
              89 Grenadiers of foot
              Norfolk
              8th
              16th US Inf
              1st Norfolk
              Wentworth Re-enactment
              89th
              Upper Canada Lining History
              49th Grenadiers

              Note: Spelling exactly as on the list given me

              And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
              didn't hear some that means you were doing what
              you were supposed to be doing. Following your
              Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.

              Also, if your members don't register or don't mention
              what regiment your portray, then it ain't read of.
              Message 6 of 19 , May 10 8:33 PM
                From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                Who are called Indian department ?

                are you asking or telling ?!?
              • gord_1812
                Message 7 of 19 , May 10 8:44 PM
                  > From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...>
                  >

                  > " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

                  I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                  In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (
                  That's green collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                  MRSC is the Society.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Gord

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 10 8:46 PM
                    > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                    >

                    > Who are called Indian department ?
                    >
                    > are you asking or telling ?!?

                    That is the name I know them as but I was leaving space for a member
                    to correct me.

                    Gord
                  • easeufe@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 10 8:54 PM
                      In a message dated 5/10/02 11:36:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      lalozon@... writes:

                      > Provincial Marines

                      Huh!

                      Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                      Ed Seufert, LCpl
                      1812 Royal Marines
                      1st Co/2nd Batt RM

                    • cplwattie
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 10 10:58 PM
                        > To cplwattie et all:
                        > it don't work that way .........

                        Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
                        march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
                        singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
                        Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
                        IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
                        Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
                        there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
                        up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
                        favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
                        requests).
                        You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
                        of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
                        The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
                        I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
                        units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
                        Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

                        > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
                        > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
                        > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
                        > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
                        This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
                        things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
                        grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
                        also listen to the play-by-play ...
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 11 10:51 AM
                          From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                          Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                          wear issue head dress?

                          Gord,
                          Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
                          Militia
                          were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
                          The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
                          the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
                          Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
                          was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                          Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
                          buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

                          Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

                          From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

                          I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                          In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
                          collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                          MRSC is the Society.

                          Gord
                          I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
                          That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
                          It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
                          look
                          for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
                          others
                          as well ........

                          Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
                          more of this matter.
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 11 11:01 AM
                            From: <easeufe@...>

                            > > Provincial Marines
                            > >
                            > Huh!
                            >
                            > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                            ______________

                            Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

                            But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
                            so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
                          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 11 11:51 AM
                              Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                              given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
                              job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
                              of the planned action.

                              Regards,

                              Bob Dorian
                              USA
                            • gord_1812
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 11 8:04 PM
                                > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                                >
                                > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                                > wear issue head dress?
                                >
                                > Gord,
                                > Documentation tells us that the 1st
                                Regiment Kent
                                > Militia
                                > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
                                documented.
                                > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
                                during
                                > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
                                the
                                > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
                                kit. My kit
                                > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                                > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
                                gaiters,
                                > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
                                Kents.

                                Thanks for the update.

                                > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                                Warrant?

                                Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

                                Gord
                              • cplwattie
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 11 9:59 PM
                                  Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                                  the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                                  a difficult concept?

                                  > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                                  > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                                  easiest
                                  > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                                  get off
                                  > of the planned action.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Bob Dorian
                                  > USA
                                • cplwattie
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 11 10:08 PM
                                    > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                                    Warrant?
                                    Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                                    kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                                    his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                                    There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                                    Cpl. Wattie
                                    (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                                  • davebevca
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 12 6:47 AM
                                      I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                                      better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                                      Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                                      fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                                      be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                                      Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                                      that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                                      proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                                      units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                                      Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                                      the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                                      du sauvage".
                                      Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                                      any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                                      Dave.