Re: The Battle of Longwoods Event

  • gord_1812
    Message 1 of 19 , May 10, 2002
      It was a great event!!!
      One small oversight. The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
      crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat with a uniform?
      Is there actually documentation of such hats?

      Gord

      > From: "Raymond Hobbs" <ray.hobbs@s...>
      >
      > Huzzah for the Royal Scots and the
      arrangements
      > Committee for Longwoods. Last week-end was a delight, and an
      > excellent start to the season in Upper Canada. Our new CO is
      putting
      > us through our drill and there is a lot to learn - and retain. The
      battles
      > last week-end were great, and I especially enjoyed the Sunday 'all
      fall
      > down' skirmish!!!
      >
      > Ray Hobbs
      > Corporal, 41st Regt. of Foot
      > ------------------------
      >
      > May I add to the observations of Brother Hobbs ......
      >
      > Congratulations to the Upper Thames Military Re-enactment
      Society
      > who worked super hard to present another great event. We are now
      officially
      > into the 2002 1812 Campaign Season.
      >
      > This event was the first practical application for the
      lessons
      > learned at
      > the April 13-14 British Officer's & NCO' School of Instruction held
      at Fort
      > York Toronto Canada. As the drill has changed some, there was no
      confusion
      > noticed by the spectators which is a compliment to those who
      attended and
      > dispatched the information learned to their units.
      >
      > Being able to stand with the spectators and watch the
      battle
      > presentations
      > I overheard a few comments. The main comment at this event was, "If
      this is
      > a battle, why are so many soldiers laughing?" This may be one
      element of
      > your
      > unit that you want to address.
      >
      > As always, Drum Major Ross Flowers has the Corps of Drums
      sounding
      > 'Smart as Paint', and he offers an open invitation to all who want
      to become
      > musicians. Ross can be contacted at: rflowers@i... An interesting
      > movement of the 'Musick" was the splitting into sections to form
      behind the
      > flank
      > companies to enable them to hear the command beatings.
      >
      > Noticeably was a few units who have greatly increased their
      numbers.
      > Some units
      > have also have decided to present a 'spit and polish' impression.
      It is
      > always a pleasure
      > to attend this event to see what is 'new' in the 1812 section of
      this hobby.

      > Hats off to all those who attended, to all who braved the
      very cold
      > evenings, to all
      > the Sutlers who take much more time to load and unload and finally
      but not
      > least to all the
      > ladies who allowed their men to go and play with muskets!
      >
      > I do believe the epidemic known as 'Cabin Fever' has be
      cured by the
      > Battle of
      > Longwoods event.
      >

      > Now ...... are you ready for the Battle of Stoney Creek Event,
      Hamilton,

      Message 2 of 19 , May 10, 2002
        From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

        " ... The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
        crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat
        with a uniform? Is there actually documentation of such hats?

        Gord,

        You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!

        The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
        One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".

        Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
        and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.

        Your humble servant,

        The Announcer

        -----
      • cplwattie
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10, 2002
          Funny, but I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.
          Must be one of those sound shadows ...
          It might forestall hard feelings if the units participating are
          mentioned when they trot past. Otherwise, you get IMUC marching past
          and the announcer thanking the "corps du sauvage"

          Minor point: A thoroughly enjoyable start to the season otherwise.

          > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
          >

          > " ... The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
          > crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat
          > with a uniform? Is there actually documentation of such hats?
          >
          > Gord,
          >
          > You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!
          >
          > The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
          > One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".
          >
          > Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
          > and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.
          >
          > Your humble servant,
          >
          > The Announcer
          >
          > -----
        • gord_1812
          Message 4 of 19 , May 10, 2002
            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...> wrote:
            > Funny, but I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks
            either.
            > Must be one of those sound shadows ...
            > It might forestall hard feelings if the units participating are
            > mentioned when they trot past. Otherwise, you get IMUC marching
            past
            > and the announcer thanking the "corps du sauvage"

            Who are called Indian department ?

            Gord

            Your not so humble servant!
          • gord_1812
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10, 2002
              > You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!
              Naw I was listening for it so I could give a good Huzaa!

              > The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
              > One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".
              >
              > Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
              > and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.
              Ok but with a uniform? Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
              wear issue head dress?

              Gord
              Message 6 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@...>

                " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

                To cplwattie et all:

                it don't work that way .........

                Your members show up at the event and register, the site cares
                not of the Whatever Re-enactment Society. They are more
                interested what regiment they are representing. The Site then supplies
                me with a list of all the re-created Regiments attending and I read
                that list off for the spectators. If your members don't register or
                don't mention the Regiment name or number .......
                'NO MENTION' by the Announcer. The city or area is usually
                the average registered. So, tell all your members to register.

                The list given me by the co-ordinators of the Battle of Longwoods
                reads exactly:

                Royal Nfd Reg
                Dolsen's Rifles
                Kings
                Norfolk Militia
                Provincial Marines
                Lincoln Militia
                Ramas
                Seneca Runners
                Independant
                Inc. Militia
                6th Regt of Foot
                Br Indep Dept
                Niagara Arms
                Hist Collectors
                Freeman
                King's Co
                10th Royal Vets
                25th Us
                Voyageurs
                Glengarry Light Inf
                IMUC
                Brant Muzzleloaders
                Four Directions flint and feathers
                KMRS (US) 27th
                Camlachie mil
                89 Grenadiers of foot
                Norfolk
                8th
                16th US Inf
                1st Norfolk
                Wentworth Re-enactment
                89th
                Upper Canada Lining History
                49th Grenadiers

                Note: Spelling exactly as on the list given me

                And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
                didn't hear some that means you were doing what
                you were supposed to be doing. Following your
                Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.

                Also, if your members don't register or don't mention
                what regiment your portray, then it ain't read of.
                Message 7 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                  From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                  Who are called Indian department ?

                  are you asking or telling ?!?
                • gord_1812
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                    > From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...>
                    >

                    > " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

                    I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                    In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (
                    That's green collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                    MRSC is the Society.

                    I hope this helps.

                    Gord

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                      > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                      >

                      > Who are called Indian department ?
                      >
                      > are you asking or telling ?!?

                      That is the name I know them as but I was leaving space for a member
                      to correct me.

                      Gord
                    • easeufe@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                        In a message dated 5/10/02 11:36:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        lalozon@... writes:

                        > Provincial Marines

                        Huh!

                        Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                        Ed Seufert, LCpl
                        1812 Royal Marines
                        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

                      • cplwattie
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                          > To cplwattie et all:
                          > it don't work that way .........

                          Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
                          march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
                          singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
                          Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
                          IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
                          Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
                          there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
                          up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
                          favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
                          requests).
                          You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
                          of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
                          The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
                          I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
                          units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
                          Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

                          > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
                          > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
                          > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
                          > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
                          This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
                          things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
                          grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
                          also listen to the play-by-play ...
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                            From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                            Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                            wear issue head dress?

                            Gord,
                            Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
                            Militia
                            were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
                            The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
                            the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
                            Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
                            was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                            Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
                            buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

                            Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

                            From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

                            I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                            In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
                            collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                            MRSC is the Society.

                            Gord
                            I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
                            That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
                            It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
                            look
                            for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
                            others
                            as well ........

                            Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
                            more of this matter.
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                              From: <easeufe@...>

                              > > Provincial Marines
                              > >
                              > Huh!
                              >
                              > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                              ______________

                              Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

                              But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
                              so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
                            • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                                given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
                                job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
                                of the planned action.

                                Regards,

                                Bob Dorian
                                USA
                              • gord_1812
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                  > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                                  >
                                  > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                                  > wear issue head dress?
                                  >
                                  > Gord,
                                  > Documentation tells us that the 1st
                                  Regiment Kent
                                  > Militia
                                  > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
                                  documented.
                                  > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
                                  during
                                  > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
                                  the
                                  > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
                                  kit. My kit
                                  > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                                  > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
                                  gaiters,
                                  > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
                                  Kents.

                                  Thanks for the update.

                                  > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                                  Warrant?

                                  Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

                                  Gord
                                • cplwattie
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                    Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                                    the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                                    a difficult concept?

                                    > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                                    > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                                    easiest
                                    > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                                    get off
                                    > of the planned action.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    >
                                    > Bob Dorian
                                    > USA
                                  • cplwattie
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                      > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                                      Warrant?
                                      Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                                      kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                                      his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                                      There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                                      Cpl. Wattie
                                      (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                                    • davebevca
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 12, 2002
                                        I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                                        better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                                        Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                                        fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                                        be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                                        Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                                        that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                                        proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                                        units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                                        Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                                        the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                                        du sauvage".
                                        Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                                        any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                                        Dave.