The Battle of Longwoods Event

    Message 1 of 19 , May 10, 2002
      From: "Raymond Hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>

      Huzzah for the Royal Scots and the arrangements
      Committee for Longwoods. Last week-end was a delight, and an
      excellent start to the season in Upper Canada. Our new CO is putting
      us through our drill and there is a lot to learn - and retain. The battles
      last week-end were great, and I especially enjoyed the Sunday 'all fall
      down' skirmish!!!

      Ray Hobbs
      Corporal, 41st Regt. of Foot
      ------------------------

      May I add to the observations of Brother Hobbs ......

      Congratulations to the Upper Thames Military Re-enactment Society
      who worked super hard to present another great event. We are now officially
      into the 2002 1812 Campaign Season.

      This event was the first practical application for the lessons
      learned at
      the April 13-14 British Officer's & NCO' School of Instruction held at Fort
      York Toronto Canada. As the drill has changed some, there was no confusion
      noticed by the spectators which is a compliment to those who attended and
      dispatched the information learned to their units.

      Being able to stand with the spectators and watch the battle
      presentations
      I overheard a few comments. The main comment at this event was, "If this is
      a battle, why are so many soldiers laughing?" This may be one element of
      your
      unit that you want to address.

      As always, Drum Major Ross Flowers has the Corps of Drums sounding
      'Smart as Paint', and he offers an open invitation to all who want to become
      musicians. Ross can be contacted at: rflowers@... An interesting
      movement of the 'Musick" was the splitting into sections to form behind the
      flank
      companies to enable them to hear the command beatings.

      Noticeably was a few units who have greatly increased their numbers.
      Some units
      have also have decided to present a 'spit and polish' impression. It is
      always a pleasure
      to attend this event to see what is 'new' in the 1812 section of this hobby.

      Hats off to all those who attended, to all who braved the very cold
      evenings, to all
      the Sutlers who take much more time to load and unload and finally but not
      least to all the
      ladies who allowed their men to go and play with muskets!

      I do believe the epidemic known as 'Cabin Fever' has be cured by the
      Battle of
      Longwoods event.

      Now ...... are you ready for the Battle of Stoney Creek Event, Hamilton,
      Ontario
      May 31 to June 2?

      Visit: http://www.battlefieldhouse.ca/ for more info.
    • gord_1812
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10, 2002
        It was a great event!!!
        One small oversight. The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
        crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat with a uniform?
        Is there actually documentation of such hats?

        Gord

        Message 3 of 19 , May 10, 2002
          From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

          " ... The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
          crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat
          with a uniform? Is there actually documentation of such hats?

          Gord,

          You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!

          The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
          One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".

          Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
          and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.

          Your humble servant,

          The Announcer

          -----
        • cplwattie
          Message 4 of 19 , May 10, 2002
            Funny, but I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.
            Must be one of those sound shadows ...
            It might forestall hard feelings if the units participating are
            mentioned when they trot past. Otherwise, you get IMUC marching past
            and the announcer thanking the "corps du sauvage"

            Minor point: A thoroughly enjoyable start to the season otherwise.

            > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
            >

            > " ... The announcer forgot to mention IMUC to the
            > crowd....both days! And what was with the civie hat
            > with a uniform? Is there actually documentation of such hats?
            >
            > Gord,
            >
            > You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!
            >
            > The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
            > One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".
            >
            > Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
            > and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.
            >
            > Your humble servant,
            >
            > The Announcer
            >
            > -----
          • gord_1812
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10, 2002
              --- In WarOf1812@y..., "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...> wrote:
              > Funny, but I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks
              either.
              > Must be one of those sound shadows ...
              > It might forestall hard feelings if the units participating are
              > mentioned when they trot past. Otherwise, you get IMUC marching
              past
              > and the announcer thanking the "corps du sauvage"

              Who are called Indian department ?

              Gord

              Your not so humble servant!
            • gord_1812
              Message 6 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                > You were obviously too busy fighting the battle both days!
                Naw I was listening for it so I could give a good Huzaa!

                > The announcer mentioned all registered units at the event.
                > One of those units was the "Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada".
                >
                > Also, the 'civie' hat is a documented straw hat
                > and not like the 'Civil War' straw hats worn by others.
                Ok but with a uniform? Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                wear issue head dress?

                Gord
                Message 7 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                  From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@...>

                  " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

                  To cplwattie et all:

                  it don't work that way .........

                  Your members show up at the event and register, the site cares
                  not of the Whatever Re-enactment Society. They are more
                  interested what regiment they are representing. The Site then supplies
                  me with a list of all the re-created Regiments attending and I read
                  that list off for the spectators. If your members don't register or
                  don't mention the Regiment name or number .......
                  'NO MENTION' by the Announcer. The city or area is usually
                  the average registered. So, tell all your members to register.

                  The list given me by the co-ordinators of the Battle of Longwoods
                  reads exactly:

                  Royal Nfd Reg
                  Dolsen's Rifles
                  Kings
                  Norfolk Militia
                  Provincial Marines
                  Lincoln Militia
                  Ramas
                  Seneca Runners
                  Independant
                  Inc. Militia
                  6th Regt of Foot
                  Br Indep Dept
                  Niagara Arms
                  Hist Collectors
                  Freeman
                  King's Co
                  10th Royal Vets
                  25th Us
                  Voyageurs
                  Glengarry Light Inf
                  IMUC
                  Brant Muzzleloaders
                  Four Directions flint and feathers
                  KMRS (US) 27th
                  Camlachie mil
                  89 Grenadiers of foot
                  Norfolk
                  8th
                  16th US Inf
                  1st Norfolk
                  Wentworth Re-enactment
                  89th
                  Upper Canada Lining History
                  49th Grenadiers

                  Note: Spelling exactly as on the list given me

                  And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
                  didn't hear some that means you were doing what
                  you were supposed to be doing. Following your
                  Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.

                  Also, if your members don't register or don't mention
                  what regiment your portray, then it ain't read of.
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                    From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                    Who are called Indian department ?

                    are you asking or telling ?!?
                  • gord_1812
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                      > From: "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...>
                      >

                      > " .... I never heard it either. Didn't hear the Norfolks either.

                      I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                      In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (
                      That's green collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                      MRSC is the Society.

                      I hope this helps.

                      Gord

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                        > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                        >

                        > Who are called Indian department ?
                        >
                        > are you asking or telling ?!?

                        That is the name I know them as but I was leaving space for a member
                        to correct me.

                        Gord
                      • easeufe@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                          In a message dated 5/10/02 11:36:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          lalozon@... writes:

                          > Provincial Marines

                          Huh!

                          Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                          Ed Seufert, LCpl
                          1812 Royal Marines
                          1st Co/2nd Batt RM

                        • cplwattie
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 10, 2002
                            > To cplwattie et all:
                            > it don't work that way .........

                            Why not? My suggestion was that you read off the participants as they
                            march past: what's the problem? If the Provincial Marine (note
                            singular) is fallen in with the Newfs (heavens forfend!) announce the
                            Royal Nfld. Regt followed closely by the Provincial Marine(s).
                            IMUC is not easy to miss in a crowd - they don't call us Heavy
                            Infantry for nothing - so I'm assuming you recognize us. Lord knows
                            there's enough of us. If you don't we'd be happy to fly a flag, send
                            up a flare or sing an appropriate tune to identify ourselves (our
                            favourite is the "Flying Monkeys March" from Wizard of Oz, but we do
                            requests).
                            You can usually spot the Norfolks by the not insubstantial presence
                            of the redoubtable Larry Hanna.
                            The 89th are the ones looking somewhat the worse for drink.
                            I could go on, but the point is why not introduce the identifiable
                            units by name? You did for some (the Royal Scots, the 10th Royal
                            Veterans and I think the King's 8th), why not for all?

                            > And, Gents that is exactly what I read off. If you
                            > didn't hear some that means you were doing what
                            > you were supposed to be doing. Following your
                            > Officers and NCO s and listening for commands.
                            This may surprise you, but it is possible to march and do other
                            things at the same time. Mainly we use this excess brain capacity to
                            grumble or dream up cruel pranks to play on the officers, but we do
                            also listen to the play-by-play ...
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                              From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@...>

                              Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                              wear issue head dress?

                              Gord,
                              Documentation tells us that the 1st Regiment Kent
                              Militia
                              were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be documented.
                              The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well during
                              the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus the
                              Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military kit. My kit
                              was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                              Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool gaiters,
                              buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the Kents.

                              Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the Warrant?

                              From: "gord_1812" gord1812@...

                              I registered as IMUC That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
                              In the future if we aren't on the list look for green facings. (That's green
                              collar and sleeves) IMUC is the unit NOT the Society
                              MRSC is the Society.

                              Gord
                              I have been in this hobby since 1967 and know the IMUC,
                              That's Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If you read my earlier post
                              It states I only read off the list from the event co-ordinators and don't
                              look
                              for facing colours. Also green facings could be the 55th Reg. and many
                              others
                              as well ........

                              Having said this, I of course bow to your wisdom, and shall not speek
                              more of this matter.
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                From: <easeufe@...>

                                > > Provincial Marines
                                > >
                                > Huh!
                                >
                                > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

                                ______________

                                Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

                                But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
                                so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
                              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                  Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                                  given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
                                  job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
                                  of the planned action.

                                  Regards,

                                  Bob Dorian
                                  USA
                                • gord_1812
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                    > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
                                    >
                                    > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
                                    > wear issue head dress?
                                    >
                                    > Gord,
                                    > Documentation tells us that the 1st
                                    Regiment Kent
                                    > Militia
                                    > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
                                    documented.
                                    > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
                                    during
                                    > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
                                    the
                                    > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
                                    kit. My kit
                                    > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
                                    > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
                                    gaiters,
                                    > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
                                    Kents.

                                    Thanks for the update.

                                    > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                                    Warrant?

                                    Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

                                    Gord
                                  • cplwattie
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                      Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
                                      the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
                                      a difficult concept?

                                      > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
                                      > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
                                      easiest
                                      > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
                                      get off
                                      > of the planned action.
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      >
                                      > Bob Dorian
                                      > USA
                                    • cplwattie
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 11, 2002
                                        > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
                                        Warrant?
                                        Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
                                        kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
                                        his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
                                        There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
                                        Cpl. Wattie
                                        (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
                                      • davebevca
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 12, 2002
                                          I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                                          better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                                          Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                                          fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                                          be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                                          Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                                          that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                                          proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                                          units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                                          Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                                          the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                                          du sauvage".
                                          Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                                          any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                                          Dave.