Re: (no subject)

  • Robert Van Patten
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 1999
      A scene from the Hornblower series comes to mind on hearing your question.
      Hornblower, on the beach, supporting French Royalists in an attempt to
      overthrow Bonaparte encounters a mounted major leading a troop of (I think)
      Royal Marines. This gentleman, after having been repeatedly addressed as
      major by Hornblower, chides him gently by telling him that Hornblower may
      address him more properly as "Milord" since he is, in fact, the Earl of
      Gryppnge Upon Thighe or something like that. Happily it turns out that he's
      not the snotty little twerp he first appears to be, but a damned good
      officer who knows exactly what he's doing.

      ----------
      > From: MAXINE TROTTIER <maxitrot@...>
      > To: 1812 <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] (no subject)
      > Date: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 8:27 PM
      >
      > From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
      >
      > Gentlemen. Those of you who portray British officers who are peers,
      > how are you addressed by your subordinates? As Captain Brick for
      > instance, or my lord? Might I say, "The ship is sinking, my lord."
      >
      > Max
      > Maxine Trottier
      > maxitrot@...
      > http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

      > Have you entered ONElist's "Grow to Give" program?
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > Deadline is June 19. Join now to win $5000 for your charity of choice.
      square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      of square miles...