Re: 95th & GLI Piping

  • R Henderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 1999
      Dear Mr Fuller,

      The Pearse tailorbook is in the reserve collection (presently being stabilized in Conservation) in the Canadian War Museum. Glen Steppler drew upon this rare resource
      for his chart of coat distinctions of regiments in his excellent article on British Nap.Coats. Figuring out feathering comes from reference to it in the 1830s and the
      use of the technique on original epaulettes of British coats (originals 65th Regiment, Parks Canada - 8th Regiment, Fort Henry, - St. John Rifles (copying after Rifle
      Brigade)) in the 1830s; cross-referenced with sewing techniques used on original habit-vests of French Light Infantry. There is an excellent example of braid on a
      tailor's prototype coat (1812) made of sergeant's quality cloth in the Can. War Museum as well. Keith Raynor sent me photos of a coat with similar braid in the UK.

      I think they used white cloth on the buglers because the result would be wider accents of white on the uniform; therefore more noticable on the field. Hey its all
      educated guess work, and that's my guess.

      Sincerely,

      Robert Henderson