Re: Glengarry lace?

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 1999
      I agree with Craig on the 95th: Other Ranks: No lace. White _natural_ wool
      piping (akin to French army uniform wool of the AWI), cut on the bias to
      facilitate bending on the shoulder straps, cuffs and collar. (Some times,
      esp. in the first decade of the 19th cent., illustrations show NO piping or
      lace whatsoever.) There is also a case for cotton piping, as Britain did
      pretty much control the cotton trade (Egypt, India) of the era, US supplies
      notwithstanding, but cotton gets dirty easily, e.g., piping on the collar
      gets rubbed against sweaty necks.... the English 95th reenactment groups use
      cotton piping, but I would differ, as wool was cheaper and domestically
      available independently of shipping problems in wartime..

      Where were the GLI uniforms produced and what suppliers did they use in the
      War of 1812?

      Roger Fuller