Shared info

  • mmathews@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 1999
      Morning all,

      Since there has been so much talk lately about sharing files, patterns and
      the like, I have a couple of requests for information and/or suggestions.
      I grow weary of burden of leadership <g>, so I'm demoting myself in order
      to just bang my musket (safely from now on) and grumble about the tyranical
      sergeants and useless officers. <vbg> Right now all questions are related
      to His Majesty's forces. Replies can be on or off list as you choose.

      Where/who are reliable sources for leather for belts and boxes? Is there a
      proper supplier of finished belts and boxes, or do the majority make their
      own. I suppose one in the States would be better for me from a convenience
      standpoint but I'm very open.

      What is the correct width for British belts? I've read 2 1/8", 2 1/4", and
      even 2 3/4" for the Guards. Any difference between lights and line other
      than color on occasion?

      Could someone post to the shared list a pattern for the British cartridge
      box, or at least the dimensions? I have decent leather working skills, so
      could likely do a fair job on my own.

      Would anyone care to recommend a specific fabric number for a rankers red
      coat? i.e. Woolrich wool # xxxx. While you're at it, the green of the
      Glengarrys please?

      Shakos, finished or in kit form? I've only found the Dis. General and
      would like to know if there are other quality options.

      I believe I have a proper pattern for the coat from Peter T. years back,
      and the trousers, though I would welcome suggestions for the shade of grey.

      I look to join the Michigan Fencibles (fairly local unit) and perhaps one
      day the Glengarrys, though obviously my location would keep me from doing
      many events. I must confess though that after my visit to Fort York, and
      Fort Erie before I came home, makes me want to look for jobs farther east!

      Thanks in advance,
      Michael

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      "Wit is educated insolence." -- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)