Greetings.

  • docwaterloo
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2002
      As requested here is some info about me.....I live in Crawley, West
      Sussex, in the uk i have 3 soon to be 4 children,2 dogs 2 cats and 4
      puters all of which are financially dependant on me i was an
      auxillary nurse now un-employed. i am also an spernatural
      investigator only recently but good fun check out the cool link in my
      profile. i was a 12th light dragoon for a short time about 5 years
      ago in the NA but no longer a member although i did meet rifleman
      moore who brought the 7 barreled gun used in the series and he signed
      my copy of "sharpe" by B.C.
      i am currently thinking about starting a living history unit
      concerned with the medical side of both the english and french forces
      during the napoleonic wars so any info on uniforms equipment
      hospitals procedures etc would be greatly appreciated. i know very
      little about the period or running a re-enactment group so any help
      or advice would be appreciated in this sometimes overlooked daily
      service during the war with reference to starting from scratch.
      afterall it would be a first i believe!
      my entire knoewledge to date is from american civil war medicine and
      a plate of an assistant surgeon in the british army so dire straits
      springs to mind..lol
      So hope to hear from anyone soon.
      take care.
      Nick Walsh
    • steenkinbadges
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "docwaterloo" <bomberb17@b...> wrote:

        i am also an supernatural
        > investigator only recently but good fun check out the cool link in
        my
        > profile.

        Okaaaay.....question, Mr Supernatural Investigator: where do all the
        old ghosts go? I mean: where do all the ghosts in England of Roman
        soldiers and Picts and Angles, Saxons, Jutes, etc., all go? How come
        nobody ever reports such "ghosts"? Maybe they're all in the UFO with
        Elvis?......;D

        i was a 12th light dragoon for a short time about 5 years
        > ago in the NA but no longer a member although i did meet rifleman
        > moore who brought the 7 barreled gun used in the series and he
        signed
        > my copy of "sharpe" by B.C.

        Another question: help me understand: How come everybody's so potty
        about Sharpe? I go back and look on the archives of this list and
        everybody's ga-ga about Sharpe. Is he some kind of oracle? A major
        source of documentation for the reenactors or something?

        A SEVEN-barrelled gun? Woo-Hoo! I've read a lot about War of 1812 and
        napoleonic history, but never seen any reference to anybody using
        that in battle. Is that gun an original? What army used it? Who is
        moore- is he a researcher or something? Where does he get his info?

        > i am currently thinking about starting a living history unit
        > concerned with the medical side of both the english and french
        forces
        > during the napoleonic wars so any info on uniforms equipment
        > hospitals procedures etc would be greatly appreciated. i know very
        > little about the period or running a re-enactment group so any help
        > or advice would be appreciated in this sometimes overlooked daily
        > service during the war with reference to starting from scratch.
        > afterall it would be a first i believe!
        > my entire knoewledge to date is from american civil war medicine
        and
        > a plate of an assistant surgeon in the british army so dire straits
        > springs to mind..lol

        Nick, I don't imagine much changed in 50 odd years from 1815 to 1861-
        65. Blood smeared all over the frock coat seems to be the order of
        the day, but blood, screaming and severed limbs in a pile ouside the
        tent frighten tourists. (Too real, people? Too bad!)

        Might I suggest on-site trepanning for selected volunteers?......

        Uniforming: no idea, but I bet, judging from what I've seen at 1812
        events up here in the Great White North, you could wear a Civil war
        beard, and get away with doing both periods! :)

        Breezing in from the cold,
        Larry Larry
      • lenthecooper
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2002
          The GaGa noises are infact people gagging when you talk about Sharpe
          and as for those (other than unit Pioneers)who wear beards in 1812 re-
          enactments, well we all know what they're called...
          Cheers,
          Len

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2002
            In a message dated 4/9/2002 8:43:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
            steenkinbadges@... writes:

            > A SEVEN-barrelled gun? Woo-Hoo! I've read a lot about War of 1812 and
            > napoleonic history, but never seen any reference to anybody using
            > that in battle. Is that gun an original?

            The Knock volley gun, it was invented for use on shipboard but didn't see
            general service it's use in 'Sharpe' was fairly idiotic.

          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2002
              Hi Nick,

              Welcome to the list. I am in the process of getting together a Brit.
              Surgeons impression for the 1812 War here in North America. I currently
              do a US Surgeon, so I have the medical equipment already. I'll e-mail
              you directly with some books that you will find interesting and helpful.

              Regards.

              Bob Dorian
              US Surgeon & Engineer
            • Nick Wash
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2002
                many thanx if you have a private email i would like to send you my number.

                Welcome to the list. I am in the process of getting together a Brit.
                Surgeons impression for the 1812 War here in North America. I currently
                do a US Surgeon, so I have the medical equipment already. I'll e-mail
                you directly with some books that you will find interesting and helpful.

                Regards.

                Bob Dorian
                US Surgeon & Engineer

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                square miles...

              • colsjtjones2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 10, 2002
                  We have all seen Sgt Harper fire the gun with apparent ease in the TV
                  Sharpe series. But is there any correspondent who has actually fired
                  one - maybe even fully loaded with ball? That is about 5 oz of
                  lead. Doug

                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., BritcomHMP@a... wrote:
                  > In a message dated 4/9/2002 8:43:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  > steenkinbadges@y... writes:
                  >

                  > > A SEVEN-barrelled gun? Woo-Hoo! I've read a lot about War of 1812
                  and
                  > > napoleonic history, but never seen any reference to anybody using
                  > > that in battle. Is that gun an original?
                  >
                  > The Knock volley gun, it was invented for use on shipboard but
                  didn't see
                  > general service it's use in 'Sharpe' was fairly idiotic.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Tim

                • PEGGY MATHEWS
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 10, 2002
                    I have not fired one, but I recall reading that Rifleman Moore, who was one of the consultants in the series, has fired the one from the show fully loaded. IIRC they never reached general service use because of the excessive kick and subsequent damage to the shooter in the heat of action. The Mold and Gun Shop has all the parts if anyone wants to build one. ;-) My vague recollection is that the barrels were something in the .50 calibre range.

                    As far as it's inclusion in the Sharpe *fictional novels* based on the historic events, it served to reinforce in the readers mind the great physical strength of Sergeant Harper. They repeatedly said that a lesser man could suffer serious harm shooting it. So as a literary tool it was perhaps more effective than the actual weapon.

                    Michael