Maine Expedition

  • falange36@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2002
      Hello All,

      I am new to the list having dived into the history of this war.

      I emailed John Turner off line and he was kind enough to help me out on some questions.

      I am from Maine and naturally am interested in the occupation of Castine, Battle of Hampden and the numerous reconn raid along the coast of Maine.

      I have for the last few years been knee deep in the Russian Civil War 1917-1920. It is extremely refreshing to research a war in my backyard with references in English. The fields and forts in Maine have weathered the years very well and the State Library and Archives are two streets down the road. I have been able to research all I need to know on the Maine Militia as most of you have done on your own local companies. However the British Regiments are another story.

      In General the Task Force had the 29th, 62nd, 98th and two coy of the 60th Rifles. On D-Day the flank coy plus one rifles advanced up river, the 29th BN Coy and the other rifle when west to Belfast (blocking reinforcement) and the 98th and 62nd landed in Castine. The next morning the CinC (Sherbrooke) took a force to Buckstown (Buckport) to block reinforcements from the east. Thousands of Maine Militia were mustering and wondering what to do. I can't determine what British force this was in Bucksport. John Turner's info on the 62nd does'nt mention it being them so it could have been the 98th. Yet the 98th was the greenest (?) unit and seem the last choice to venture out of Castine.

      I also cannot place regimental commanders either. LTC Ximenes (62nd?), LTC Douglas, LTC Pilkington, LTC John (60th) and LTC Nichols (RE)are all mentioned.

      Begging for any additional info.

      Tom Hillman
      Maine, USA