RE: [WarOf1812] Re: Rope Drum in GTA

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
      Thanks, no apologies were necessary, but it does make it easier to
      understand :)

      Peter Catley

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2002
        Hello all,

        Ross, if I remember correctly from my visit to Military Antiques a
        few weeks back, this drum is probably correct for 1812 or earlier.
        New heads are needed of course. Military Antiques is on the east
        side of Yonge St a couple of km south of the Aurora/Stouffville Road.
        I was looking at WW2 stuff for 1 Can Para Bn and didn't think to
        mention the drum to anyone. Tony used to own the military antiques
        shop on O'Connor Ave in Toronto and moved north after some problems
        with the Metro Coppers.

        While I'm here talking about military antique shops and such, just a
        word of warning. I have seen a Universal Plate at Bert Bell Antiques
        on the Lakeshore in New Toronto. Bert claims that it is an original
        and it is worth $450 while I believe that it's a 1960s Parks Canada
        repop and worth perhaps $45.

        Bert and Tony (of Mil Antiques) are generally good guys but are
        mainly interested in 20th Century Military and have very little of
        anything else. Great junky, dusty, stores to wander around though.

        About the GTA comments, a good friend of mine once said that if you
        can get to anywhere to Toronto in an hour then you live in Toronto. I
        live just over an hour away and put that comment off to western
        Ontarian chauvanism. But thinking about it, I can get to places like
        Guelph in 40 minutes from the megacity so, that would mean that Larry
        has moved into 'the evil influence.' So Lar, you've been in the area
        for quite a while (2years?) have you started driving an SUV, while
        talking on a cel phone and drinking a Starbucks Late' yet? :^)

        Cheers All,

        Len