Re: Rope Drum in GTA

  • jbwhittaker
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
      My apologies to those subscribers who reside outside of Canada. GTA
      is short for Greater Toronto Area. So that means the municipalities
      close to Toronto like York, Durham and Peel Regions.
      J.Bruce Whittaker
      Norfolk Militia Rifle Coy.
    • ross_watson2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
        Any recollection of the approximate dimensions of the drum?

        Ross

        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "jbwhittaker" <ortheris@r...> wrote:
        > My apologies to those subscribers who reside outside of Canada. GTA
        > is short for Greater Toronto Area. So that means the municipalities
        > close to Toronto like York, Durham and Peel Regions.
        > J.Bruce Whittaker
        > Norfolk Militia Rifle Coy.
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
          Thanks, no apologies were necessary, but it does make it easier to
          understand :)

          Peter Catley

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2002
            Hello all,

            Ross, if I remember correctly from my visit to Military Antiques a
            few weeks back, this drum is probably correct for 1812 or earlier.
            New heads are needed of course. Military Antiques is on the east
            side of Yonge St a couple of km south of the Aurora/Stouffville Road.
            I was looking at WW2 stuff for 1 Can Para Bn and didn't think to
            mention the drum to anyone. Tony used to own the military antiques
            shop on O'Connor Ave in Toronto and moved north after some problems
            with the Metro Coppers.

            While I'm here talking about military antique shops and such, just a
            word of warning. I have seen a Universal Plate at Bert Bell Antiques
            on the Lakeshore in New Toronto. Bert claims that it is an original
            and it is worth $450 while I believe that it's a 1960s Parks Canada
            repop and worth perhaps $45.

            Bert and Tony (of Mil Antiques) are generally good guys but are
            mainly interested in 20th Century Military and have very little of
            anything else. Great junky, dusty, stores to wander around though.

            About the GTA comments, a good friend of mine once said that if you
            can get to anywhere to Toronto in an hour then you live in Toronto. I
            live just over an hour away and put that comment off to western
            Ontarian chauvanism. But thinking about it, I can get to places like
            Guelph in 40 minutes from the megacity so, that would mean that Larry
            has moved into 'the evil influence.' So Lar, you've been in the area
            for quite a while (2years?) have you started driving an SUV, while
            talking on a cel phone and drinking a Starbucks Late' yet? :^)

            Cheers All,

            Len