Glengarry Captian

  • Scott & Nancy McDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 10:10 PM
      Dear Larry and list:
      During a break in filming the New Orleans Doc. I was telling Larry and a
      few other guys about Donald McDonald, an early anglo settler in Texas who
      participated in The Texas Revolution. Donald was a Captian in the British
      Army during the Battle of Lundy's Lane, presumably with the Glens as he was
      a Catholic Scot. They seemed to take an interest so I thought I would post
      a web adress which has a short Biography;
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~txsanaug/families/donald_mcdonald.htm
      I assume that he changed the spelling of his name from McDonell to conform
      to the 'american' spelling of the surname. I have found other bio's in
      books but none seem to say anything about his life or family in Canada. Can
      any one on this list with rosters for the GLI or other sources help supply
      more info? Let me know if the link above dosent work, I tried to type it
      correctly but may have made a typo. BTW I don't think he is related to me
      cause my ain folk was Presbyterians!
      Thanks,
      Scott

      Scott McDonald
      Member/ 93rd Sutherland Highland Regiment of Foot L.H.U.
      http://members.aol.com/ninety3rd
      <mailto: raintree@...>
    • Andrew Bateman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 1999
        Scott & Nancy McDonald wrote:

        > From: Scott & Nancy McDonald <raintree@...>
        >
        > Dear Larry and list:
        > During a break in filming the New Orleans Doc. I was telling Larry and a
        > few other guys about Donald McDonald, an early anglo settler in Texas who
        > participated in The Texas Revolution. Donald was a Captian in the British
        > Army during the Battle of Lundy's Lane, presumably with the Glens as he was
        > a Catholic Scot. <snip>

        Andrew writes:

        In the book "Soldiers of the King: The Upper Canada Militia 1812-1815"
        by William Gray, I found a Lieutenant Donald McDonald listed in the 2nd
        flank company of the 1st Glengarry. (No other info on him.)

        There is also a Donald McDonnell listed as Captain of the 1st flank
        company of the 2nd Glengarry (served in the year 1812, commission dated
        April 15). This could be your man if you are right about the name change
        from McDonnell to McDonald and rank of Captain, however, the company was
        taken over by a Capt. Alexander McMillan in 1813, which would presumably
        place your man out of the picture by the time of Lundy's Lane.
        Interestingly, this same company also had Pte. Donald McDonnell, Pte.
        Donald MacDonnell, Pte. Donald MacDonnell No. 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 and
        Pte. Donald McDonnell No. 8 listed on its rolls! (I hope not all from
        the same family.) This out of 132 men!

        FWIW I also found a Lt. Donald McDonnell (commission dated Jan. 7 1809)
        in the 1st Stormont. There were no other officers named Donald McDonald
        or Donald McDonnell listed in the Canadian militia in this book. I also
        flipped thru the rolls of the rankers and found a Pte Donald (Brown)
        McDonnell in the 1st flank co. 1st GLI, a Sgt. Donald McDonnell in the
        2nd flank co. 1st GLI, and a Pte. Donald MacDonald in the 2nd flank co.
        2nd GLI. I only searched the rankers' rolls of the GLI.

        Sorry about the lack of any other information - this book is mostly
        rolls of names. (No Batemans though. Seems to be a pretty uncommon
        name.)

        KYPD,

        Pte. Andrew Bateman, 41st R.O.F.