[WarOf1812] Old Gunpowder

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      Can't recall if this made the rounds...

      British Library Finds Guy Fawkes' Gunpowder
      Reuters
      LONDON (March 21) - Gunpowder possibly used by infamous English conspirator
      Guy Fawkes in his attempt to blow up Britain's Parliament in 1605 has been
      found in the basement of the British Library.

      The solid bar of gunpowder, enclosed in a box, was accompanied by a message
      written on a 19th or early 20th century envelope reading: "Gunpowder. Large
      package is supposed to be Guy Fawkes' gunpowder."

      "We know our collections hold some explosive material, but until this
      discovery we never realized that we were quite literally sitting on a powder
      keg," Greg Hayman, a British Library spokesman, said.

      Britons commemorate the failure of the so-called "Gunpowder Plot" to
      assassinate the king and members of Parliament every November with fireworks
      displays and bonfires at which they burn effigies of Fawkes.

      The gunpowder was seized under the Houses of Parliament after Fawkes' plot
      was foiled. It was taken to the Tower of London, but its subsequent history
      has not been documented.

      The illustrated box contained different types of gunpowder, most dating from
      the 19th century. It was part of a collection belonging to the family of a
      17th century gunpowder manufacturer and acquired by the British Library in
      1995.

      Hayman said the library would give the gunpowder to the Royal Armories.

      "It is safer to hand it over to another institution which specializes in
      artillery."

      Reuters 15:46 03-21-02

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line