1st Lincoln Regiment

  • Gerry Tordiff
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2002
      Hello All!
      Does anyone on the list have information or suggestions where we might find additional info on a John Devereux who was a Sgt. in the 1st Lincoln Regiment, Jacob Ball's Company? He died Dec 1812 leaving a pension for him family. He may have served in other military regiments, but doesn't appear to be a Butler's Ranger.He doesn't appear to have petitioned for land so isn't likely a UEL. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
      Regards
      Bob Tordiff

    • manipi1812
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
        Bob,

        I checked "Soldiers of the King, the Upper Canadian Militia 1812-
        1815" by William Gray (ISBN 1-55046-142-7).

        It has only one brief listing:

        "Devereaux, John. 1st Lincoln, Sergeant. Died, disease, December 1,
        1812."

        His name was not included with the main listing of the regiment
        earlier in the book. There is a reference to "BALL, Jacob A. Captain
        (July 2, 1812." (p 72) But there is also a "BAll, Jacob A. 2nd
        Lieutenant" listed under the 2nd Lincoln Artillery listing (p 174).

        I scanned the other lists in this book to see if there'd be anything
        else but the above is all I found.

        I will see if I have any other books with lists that might have his
        name included.

        YH & OS,

        Tom Lawrence

        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Gerry Tordiff" <gtordiff@o...> wrote:
        > Hello All!
        > Does anyone on the list have information or suggestions where we
        might find additional info on a John Devereux who was a Sgt. in the
        1st Lincoln Regiment, Jacob Ball's Company? He died Dec 1812 leaving
        a pension for him family. He may have served in other military
        regiments, but doesn't appear to be a Butler's Ranger.He doesn't
        appear to have petitioned for land so isn't likely a UEL. Any ideas
        or suggestions appreciated.
        > Regards
        > Bob Tordiff

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
          Gerry, I have forwarded this to my office computer and I will let you know what I find on monday, or tuesday.
          Kevin Windsor
          89th Reg't (and curator of some museum)

          Gerry Tordiff wrote:

          > Hello All!
          > Does anyone on the list have information or suggestions where we might find additional info on a John Devereux who was a Sgt. in the 1st Lincoln Regiment, Jacob Ball's Company? He died Dec 1812 leaving a pension for him family. He may have served in other military regiments, but doesn't appear to be a Butler's Ranger.He doesn't appear to have petitioned for land so isn't likely a UEL. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
          > Regards
          > Bob Tordiff

        • Arnt family
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
            >Hello All!
            >Does anyone on the list have information or suggestions where we
            >might find additional info on a John Devereux who was a Sgt. in the
            >1st Lincoln Regiment, Jacob Ball's Company? He died Dec 1812 leaving
            >a pension for him family. He may have served in other military
            >regiments, but doesn't appear to be a Butler's Ranger.He doesn't
            >appear to have petitioned for land so isn't likely a UEL. Any ideas
            >or suggestions appreciated.
            >Regards
            >Bob Tordiff

            Hi Bob. I am captain of Crooks' Coy (Flank) of Lincoln Militia 1st
            Regiment. The library in St. Catharines has excellent resources on
            the Lincoln Militia. The muster rolls are great. I'm not sure what
            you're looking for in regard to this person, but that is a good place
            to start. Also, the Lincoln and Welland Reg't in St. Catharines may
            be able to help. I'll be as much help to you as I can. Let me know,
            --
            ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ
            Fear God, Honour the King.

            F&I: James' Coy, Roger's Rangers.
            RevWar: McDonnell's Coy, Butler's Rangers.
            1812: Crooks' Coy, Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't, Flank Company.