thread colours

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 1999
      It was my understanding that coloured thread was somewhat expensive during
      our time period and therefore only available to those folk with a bit more
      money in their pockets... ie. probably not a private soldier.

      Most thread used in a rankers coat would (this is only based on
      speculation, mind you) be natural. I am supposing that you could get away
      with black but that is pushing the issue. Since I have to come over a get
      lace for my Glen tunic very, very, very soon I can show you a stitch that
      is virtually invisible...

      Sean Hirst
      Chosen Man - Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
      Private - Glengarry Light Infantry
      *********************************
      945-0591
    • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 1999
        In a message dated 5/31/99 7:22:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
        shirst@... writes:

        << It was my understanding that coloured thread was somewhat expensive during
        our time period and therefore only available to those folk with a bit more
        money in their pockets... ie. probably not a private soldier. >>

        Ah but remember Sean, the coats were not made by private soldiers but by army
        contractors in bulk, subsequently altered to fit by regimental tailors.
        Having said that it is true that the contractors would use the cheapest
        thread possible (more profit for them) but the work did have to be up to
        government standard. As to coloured thread, it would be far cheeper for a
        coat manufacturer to buy specifically dyed coloured thread (if that is what
        the sealed pattern called for) than for an individual soldier to obtain such.
        However as we know the individual did not make his own coat, it was issued to
        him.