Re: Royal Artillery Lace

  • R Henderson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 1999
      Hi Jim,

      Good question. Unfortunately there is no surviving original other ranks coat to answer that question. By the late 1790s many line regiments made the cost saving
      decision to have their coats sewn entirely out of inexpensive linen thread opposed to coloured cotton thread. Prior to that colour thread was being shipped to
      regiments. I guess a veteran of the time would have said " they don't make them like they used to." As for the Board of Ordnance corps like the Royal Artillery, I
      haven't any records showing what colour of thread was being shipped them (scanned WO 55 dealing only with North America). It is possible that the Ordnance corps did not
      make this cost cutting move because the "off-reckonings" (reimbursement mechanism of Line Regiment Colonels) system was not used with the Royal Artillery. Conclusion.
      You have good ground to stand on both ways - white or yellow thread. After all you are stitching a red coat together with brownish white thread. Why not yellow. I can
      tell you that by the 1830s the RA are sewing their lace on with yellow thread. Of course that is post-Napoleonic and should be treated as such (peace time when the money
      for the reduced establishment is more plentiful).

      What colour did you choose for your turnbacks? Red or white? Both were being used. My guess is it was a battalion distinction thing but if anyone else has a
      suggestion.....

      Hope it helps.

      Robert

      Jim Yaworsky wrote:

      > From: Jim Yaworsky <yawors1@...>
      >
      > When hand-sewing Royal Artillery lace (yellow) on, should one use yellow thread?
      >
      > Jim

      > How many communities do you think join ONElist each day?
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > More than 1,000! Create yours now!

      Visit the Discriminating General at: http://www.militaryheritage.com
      Experience the War of 1812 at: http://www.militaryheritage.com/1812.htm