Re: Umbrella Organizations, are you nuts Sean??

  • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 1999
      In a message dated 5/30/99 7:13:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
      orville@... writes:

      << Pray, tell me about the brass balls (I know about the son of a gun).
      D'ye be knowin' ta whereabouts o' the Navigator's Balls? >>

      Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghh Matey! They bain't be brass
      balls but 'balls of a brass monkey'. Be thee sittin' comfortably? then I be
      beginin.

      A brass monkey was a triangle shaped device placed on the deck of a ship by
      the cannon for 'dressing' the ship. On this device (which gets its name from
      the powder Monkeys) it is possible to make a neat stack of cannon balls in
      the pyramid shape beloved of illustrators. HOWEVER the cannon ball are of
      course made of iron and the 'monkey' of brass which, as you will be aware
      from physics, shrink at different rates in cold weather. Hence when the
      weather gets particularly cold the monkey will no longer hold the balls and
      they will roll off. Hence the expression "Cold enough to freeze the balls off
      a brass monkey" or in shorthand (still herd in England today) "Its Brass
      Monkeys outside!"

      Shiver me timbers and avast behind 'tis for Afrikay we do be bound,
      Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

      Pink gin anyone?