modest proposal: the missing part

  • Jim Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 1999
      HMMM... "onelist" no like-m long messages! This is the part of my last post that was "chopped"... Jim.

      The Umbrella Organization could draft policies on the net, then post them to the web site, with everyone given a chance to fully participate. There is no reason why there could not be "best" recommended practices, and "acceptable" practices; with provision for persons pro and con to post a "majority" position on a given practice, as well as a minority position, with each posting their reasons and rationale for their position.
      Example: flashguards. The pros and cons are posted. A survey is then taken, and a majority "recommended practice" is then established. Those who voted the other way get to post a "minority opinion". People then pick and chose which they prefer, just like it is now. But at least everyone can see where the members of the time period stand, and new participants are given clear choices to be made with the benefit of full information. In the case of flashguards, sites might chose to post their specific rules. So if Fort Donald Duck decides flashguards are required at their site, this could be posted right to the section of the website that deals with that issue. One-stop shopping, folks!

      As for leadership of such an organization, all we would really need is a moderator/editor, at least initially. But even this is premature. It seems to me we could work on some of these issues via this List. I suggest we spend a bit more time to brainstorm this along.

      Got some ideas? Time to post them! Let's find out what we agree on, and worry about the more contentious stuff later. I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that it's going to turn out that there is a lot less "contentious stuff" than we might think!