St. David's Day

  • Angela Gottfred
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 7:30 AM
      My favorite Welshman had just retired to Montreal in 1812, after finding
      the first practical overland trade route to the Pacific. I am referring,
      of course, to the explorer David Thompson, retired North West Company
      partner.

      His contribution to the war effort was to try to develop sled-mounted
      artillery. Does anyone know if that ever came to anything?

      Your humble & obedient servant,
      Angela Gottfred
    • ANDREW S BATEMAN
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 7:55 AM
        From: "Angela Gottfred" <agottfre@...>

        > His contribution to the war effort was to try to develop sled-mounted
        > artillery. Does anyone know if that ever came to anything?

        There were some sled-mounted guns at the battle of Frenchtown. There is one
        at the River Raisin museum in Monroe, MI.

        Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
      • JOHN GREIG
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 3:01 AM
          To all of the 41st.
          Enjoy your St. Davids Day.
          The first daffodils are struggling here but still got pleanty of leeks.
          Best wishes,
          Squire
          (From the east side of Offa's Dyke).

        • biggest_plume