Re: [WarOf1812] leeks

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
      Toothless, sir!
      Now, it must be admitted that the 41st in 1767 had officers who were
      'mostly old, wounded and infirm and had lost limbs.' At that time the
      Regimental Major was 82 years old, there was a 'stone blind' Lieutenant
      of 80, and another blind Ensign - a mere youngster of 71.
      In 1781 the 41st were sent to put down a riot by the Athol Highlanders
      in Portsmouth. The 41st lost, the CO was captured because he could not
      run fast enough. He had a wooden leg.

      But TOOTHLESS, Never!!!!!

      Ray Hobbs
      Corporal in the 41st - the Regt, that won four battle honours in the
      local fuss in 1812-1814.

    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
        In a message dated 3/1/02 12:36:03 PM, lalozon@... writes:

        << Sir Catley, true story .........
        A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
        Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
        that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
        fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
        moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
        He is now a member of the Mess!
        His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know! >>

        I was there.
        I know!

        B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
          For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

          Peter Catley

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002

            > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
            > 93rd SHRoFLHU

            IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
            TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

            In all the glorious exploits by the 41st in North America, during the
            War of 1812, you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
            Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
            honours?

            Fred Fishell
          • ANDREW S BATEMAN
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
              From: "giiir" <giiir@...>

              > ... , you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
              > Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
              > honours?
              >
              > Fred Fishell

              Dear Sir,

              No, they did not win their "Niagara" battle honour at Moraviantown. (In
              fact, geographically, Moraviantown is not even close to Niagara. It is
              located west of present day London, Ontario.) They won it for the the 1814
              Niagara campaign in which the remnants of the 1/41st and 400 reinforcements
              from the 2/41st served as a single unit. The flank companies (Shadrach
              Byfield included) participated in the capture of Ft. Niagara in December of
              1813 and the battle of Lundy's Lane. As a battalion they participated in
              various raids on the US side of the river (Lewistown, Black Rock, etc.) and
              the seige of Ft. Erie. The Light company under Captain Glew suffered
              heavily in Drummond's night attack on August 15, 1814 when the bastion blew
              up.

              I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. We in the 41st are
              always happy to help.

              Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
            • johnwhiteshirt
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                My Grandad was a Welshman who had a leek in his garden every morning.
              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                  In a message dated 3/2/2002 12:39:11 AM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
                  writes:

                  > I was there.
                  > I know!
                  >
                  > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)

                  Not only did I eat a leek on that occasion, I have a picture of me doing it.
                  Indeed I recall the gent in question taking a couple of trial bites on a
                  whole raw leek before the 'puree' emerged!

                • James Aldrich
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                      In my personna as a RN lieut I was honoured to become a member of the
                      Kings 8th Mess a few years ago. I managed to devour my mighty
                      leeks. They were to be washed down with rum, a concession to me,
                      being a naval person. But I expressed a desire for scotch and it was
                      provided in thankfully copious quantities.

                      There was another person there who consumed a leek puree. I don't
                      think it had to do with false teeth. Perhaps that was another
                      occasion. But I do compliment the 8th for their consideration of
                      their guests' dietary preferences.

                      Doug

                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                        In a message dated 3/2/02 12:22:48 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                        << For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                        It should have been sauteed in Scotch!
                        ;-)
                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        THE Thin Red Line
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com
                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                          In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@... writes:

                          <<
                          IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                          TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                          8th
                          ;-)

                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          www.93rdhighlanders.com
                        • giiir
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                            --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@y... writes:
                            >
                            > <<
                            > IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                            > TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!
                            > >>

                            > 8th
                            > ;-)

                            > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                            > THE Thin Red Line
                            > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                            My dear Benton:
                            Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                            leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                            or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                            allude to, when Susan Ramsay of the Stoney Creek site and I as well
                            as the Count of Waterloo were being inducted into the King's mess. I
                            sat next to Sue and, being a gentleman, assisted her in polishing off
                            the scotch chaser. I am glad that it wasn't a Welsh (WELCH) regiment,
                            because Welches grape juice is something I cannot bring myself to
                            swallow. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Scots Regiment either, so the
                            whisky was not a single malt.
                            Hoping this clears up any misunderstanding,
                            I remain Yrs, etc.,
                            Fred Fishell
                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                              In a message dated 3/3/02 8:47:53 AM, giiir@... writes:

                              << Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                              leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                              or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                              allude to, >>

                              Evidently!
                              I would dare say the King of the North has used the leek puree gambit on more
                              than one occasion to get a free meal!
                              ;-)
                              My witness of the incident was at Fort Erie some years ago.

                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com