Re: [WarOf1812] leeks

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
      Toothless, sir!
      Now, it must be admitted that the 41st in 1767 had officers who were
      'mostly old, wounded and infirm and had lost limbs.' At that time the
      Regimental Major was 82 years old, there was a 'stone blind' Lieutenant
      of 80, and another blind Ensign - a mere youngster of 71.
      In 1781 the 41st were sent to put down a riot by the Athol Highlanders
      in Portsmouth. The 41st lost, the CO was captured because he could not
      run fast enough. He had a wooden leg.

      But TOOTHLESS, Never!!!!!

      Ray Hobbs
      Corporal in the 41st - the Regt, that won four battle honours in the
      local fuss in 1812-1814.

      Peter Catley wrote:

      > Like it, trust though the puree was without salt.
      >
      > I feel a new nickname? The toothless 41st??
      >
      > P**
      >
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] leeks
      >
      > From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>
      >
      > > LL: Leek Soup for Dinner!
      > >
      > > PC: The leeks ought to be eaten raw!
      > -----------------------
      >
      > Sir Catley, true story .........
      >
      > A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
      > Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
      > that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
      > fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
      > moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
      > He is now a member of the Mess!
      >
      > His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know!
      >
      > The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group
      > with HQ in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and a Division in
      > Hamilton, Ontario, Canada "Leek" new members of their
      > mess as they eventually were known as the Welch Regiment.
      > (correct spelling) and also The King's Regiment in the
      > Canadas portraying the 8th (King's) Regt also "leek" their
      > new mess members.
      >

      > The things people have to do for their hobby.

      > of
      > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
      > THOUSANDS of
      > square miles...
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002

        Subject: [WarOf1812] leeks

        From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
          From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

          > Like it, trust though the puree was without salt.

          LL: Right then, there was no salt in the leek-puree

          > I feel a new nickname? The toothless 41st??

          LL: Good, but no cigar!

          It was not in the 41st Mess did this occurrence happen!

          PS: Peter, who was the country Gentleman who accompanied you to
          Miss 1812? Does he have email? n' yur Paper is on it's way!

          L*
        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
            In a message dated 3/1/02 12:36:03 PM, lalozon@... writes:

            << Sir Catley, true story .........
            A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
            Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
            that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
            fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
            moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
            He is now a member of the Mess!
            His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know! >>

            I was there.
            I know!

            B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com
          • Peter Catley
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
              For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

              Peter Catley

              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002

                > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                > 93rd SHRoFLHU

                IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                In all the glorious exploits by the 41st in North America, during the
                War of 1812, you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                honours?

                Fred Fishell
              • ANDREW S BATEMAN
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                  From: "giiir" <giiir@...>

                  > ... , you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                  > Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                  > honours?
                  >
                  > Fred Fishell

                  Dear Sir,

                  No, they did not win their "Niagara" battle honour at Moraviantown. (In
                  fact, geographically, Moraviantown is not even close to Niagara. It is
                  located west of present day London, Ontario.) They won it for the the 1814
                  Niagara campaign in which the remnants of the 1/41st and 400 reinforcements
                  from the 2/41st served as a single unit. The flank companies (Shadrach
                  Byfield included) participated in the capture of Ft. Niagara in December of
                  1813 and the battle of Lundy's Lane. As a battalion they participated in
                  various raids on the US side of the river (Lewistown, Black Rock, etc.) and
                  the seige of Ft. Erie. The Light company under Captain Glew suffered
                  heavily in Drummond's night attack on August 15, 1814 when the bastion blew
                  up.

                  I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. We in the 41st are
                  always happy to help.

                  Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
                • johnwhiteshirt
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                    My Grandad was a Welshman who had a leek in his garden every morning.
                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                      In a message dated 3/2/2002 12:39:11 AM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
                      writes:

                      > I was there.
                      > I know!
                      >
                      > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)

                      Not only did I eat a leek on that occasion, I have a picture of me doing it.
                      Indeed I recall the gent in question taking a couple of trial bites on a
                      whole raw leek before the 'puree' emerged!

                    • James Aldrich
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                          In my personna as a RN lieut I was honoured to become a member of the
                          Kings 8th Mess a few years ago. I managed to devour my mighty
                          leeks. They were to be washed down with rum, a concession to me,
                          being a naval person. But I expressed a desire for scotch and it was
                          provided in thankfully copious quantities.

                          There was another person there who consumed a leek puree. I don't
                          think it had to do with false teeth. Perhaps that was another
                          occasion. But I do compliment the 8th for their consideration of
                          their guests' dietary preferences.

                          Doug

                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                            In a message dated 3/2/02 12:22:48 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                            << For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                            It should have been sauteed in Scotch!
                            ;-)
                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                            THE Thin Red Line
                            www.93rdhighlanders.com
                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                              In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@... writes:

                              <<
                              IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                              TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                              8th
                              ;-)

                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                            • giiir
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                                > In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@y... writes:
                                >
                                > <<
                                > IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                > TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!
                                > >>

                                > 8th
                                > ;-)

                                > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                > THE Thin Red Line
                                > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                My dear Benton:
                                Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                allude to, when Susan Ramsay of the Stoney Creek site and I as well
                                as the Count of Waterloo were being inducted into the King's mess. I
                                sat next to Sue and, being a gentleman, assisted her in polishing off
                                the scotch chaser. I am glad that it wasn't a Welsh (WELCH) regiment,
                                because Welches grape juice is something I cannot bring myself to
                                swallow. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Scots Regiment either, so the
                                whisky was not a single malt.
                                Hoping this clears up any misunderstanding,
                                I remain Yrs, etc.,
                                Fred Fishell
                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                  In a message dated 3/3/02 8:47:53 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                  << Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                  leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                  or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                  allude to, >>

                                  Evidently!
                                  I would dare say the King of the North has used the leek puree gambit on more
                                  than one occasion to get a free meal!
                                  ;-)
                                  My witness of the incident was at Fort Erie some years ago.

                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  THE Thin Red Line
                                  www.93rdhighlanders.com