Re: [WarOf1812] leeks

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
      Toothless, sir!
      Now, it must be admitted that the 41st in 1767 had officers who were
      'mostly old, wounded and infirm and had lost limbs.' At that time the
      Regimental Major was 82 years old, there was a 'stone blind' Lieutenant
      of 80, and another blind Ensign - a mere youngster of 71.
      In 1781 the 41st were sent to put down a riot by the Athol Highlanders
      in Portsmouth. The 41st lost, the CO was captured because he could not
      run fast enough. He had a wooden leg.

      But TOOTHLESS, Never!!!!!

      Ray Hobbs
      Corporal in the 41st - the Regt, that won four battle honours in the
      local fuss in 1812-1814.

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
        From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

        > LL: Leek Soup for Dinner!
        >
        > PC: The leeks ought to be eaten raw!
        -----------------------

        Sir Catley, true story .........

        A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
        Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
        that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
        fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
        moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
        He is now a member of the Mess!

        His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know!

        The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group
        with HQ in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and a Division in
        Hamilton, Ontario, Canada "Leek" new members of their
        mess as they eventually were known as the Welch Regiment.
        (correct spelling) and also The King's Regiment in the
        Canadas portraying the 8th (King's) Regt also "leek" their
        new mess members.
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002

          Subject: [WarOf1812] leeks

          From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
            From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

            > Like it, trust though the puree was without salt.

            LL: Right then, there was no salt in the leek-puree

            > I feel a new nickname? The toothless 41st??

            LL: Good, but no cigar!

            It was not in the 41st Mess did this occurrence happen!

            PS: Peter, who was the country Gentleman who accompanied you to
            Miss 1812? Does he have email? n' yur Paper is on it's way!

            L*
          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
              In a message dated 3/1/02 12:36:03 PM, lalozon@... writes:

              << Sir Catley, true story .........
              A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
              Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
              that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
              fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
              moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
              He is now a member of the Mess!
              His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know! >>

              I was there.
              I know!

              B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                Peter Catley

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002

                  > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                  > 93rd SHRoFLHU

                  IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                  TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                  In all the glorious exploits by the 41st in North America, during the
                  War of 1812, you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                  Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                  honours?

                  Fred Fishell
                • ANDREW S BATEMAN
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                    From: "giiir" <giiir@...>

                    > ... , you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                    > Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                    > honours?
                    >
                    > Fred Fishell

                    Dear Sir,

                    No, they did not win their "Niagara" battle honour at Moraviantown. (In
                    fact, geographically, Moraviantown is not even close to Niagara. It is
                    located west of present day London, Ontario.) They won it for the the 1814
                    Niagara campaign in which the remnants of the 1/41st and 400 reinforcements
                    from the 2/41st served as a single unit. The flank companies (Shadrach
                    Byfield included) participated in the capture of Ft. Niagara in December of
                    1813 and the battle of Lundy's Lane. As a battalion they participated in
                    various raids on the US side of the river (Lewistown, Black Rock, etc.) and
                    the seige of Ft. Erie. The Light company under Captain Glew suffered
                    heavily in Drummond's night attack on August 15, 1814 when the bastion blew
                    up.

                    I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. We in the 41st are
                    always happy to help.

                    Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
                  • johnwhiteshirt
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                      My Grandad was a Welshman who had a leek in his garden every morning.
                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                        In a message dated 3/2/2002 12:39:11 AM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
                        writes:

                        > I was there.
                        > I know!
                        >
                        > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)

                        Not only did I eat a leek on that occasion, I have a picture of me doing it.
                        Indeed I recall the gent in question taking a couple of trial bites on a
                        whole raw leek before the 'puree' emerged!

                      • James Aldrich
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                            In my personna as a RN lieut I was honoured to become a member of the
                            Kings 8th Mess a few years ago. I managed to devour my mighty
                            leeks. They were to be washed down with rum, a concession to me,
                            being a naval person. But I expressed a desire for scotch and it was
                            provided in thankfully copious quantities.

                            There was another person there who consumed a leek puree. I don't
                            think it had to do with false teeth. Perhaps that was another
                            occasion. But I do compliment the 8th for their consideration of
                            their guests' dietary preferences.

                            Doug

                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                              In a message dated 3/2/02 12:22:48 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                              << For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                              It should have been sauteed in Scotch!
                              ;-)
                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                <<
                                IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                                8th
                                ;-)

                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                THE Thin Red Line
                                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                              • giiir
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                                  > In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@y... writes:
                                  >
                                  > <<
                                  > IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                  > TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!
                                  > >>

                                  > 8th
                                  > ;-)

                                  > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  > THE Thin Red Line
                                  > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                  My dear Benton:
                                  Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                  leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                  or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                  allude to, when Susan Ramsay of the Stoney Creek site and I as well
                                  as the Count of Waterloo were being inducted into the King's mess. I
                                  sat next to Sue and, being a gentleman, assisted her in polishing off
                                  the scotch chaser. I am glad that it wasn't a Welsh (WELCH) regiment,
                                  because Welches grape juice is something I cannot bring myself to
                                  swallow. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Scots Regiment either, so the
                                  whisky was not a single malt.
                                  Hoping this clears up any misunderstanding,
                                  I remain Yrs, etc.,
                                  Fred Fishell
                                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                    In a message dated 3/3/02 8:47:53 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                    << Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                    leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                    or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                    allude to, >>

                                    Evidently!
                                    I would dare say the King of the North has used the leek puree gambit on more
                                    than one occasion to get a free meal!
                                    ;-)
                                    My witness of the incident was at Fort Erie some years ago.

                                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                                    THE Thin Red Line
                                    www.93rdhighlanders.com