insurance

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2002
      From: " Michael Mathews " <ciefranche21e@...>

      > Any insurance policy for reenactors should be good,
      > regardless of whether it's from an F&I, 1812 or ACW
      > group policy.
      >-----------------

      Michael, I would read your policy carefully if I were you,
      some state that the policy only covers the 'club' or 'unit'
      for the 'Official' events in that time period. My Rev War
      insurance will not cover me at my 1812 events.
    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2002
        I can't seem to find the particulars on the group policy of our umbrella organization, the Brigade Napoleon. From the general terms listed, admittedly non specific, it seems to imply that it covers us regardless of reenactment event time line. The personal insurance coverage "will act as a primary INJURY insurance coverage for your family while they are reenacting and traveling to and from a reenactment, if you currently have no family insurance coverage." If you have something, i.e. Blue Cross/Blue Shield, then it acts as a secondary coverage picking up the deductible amount of your current coverage. This is separate from the liability insurance policy provided to LHA units and organizations. My F&I group and of course the Brigade Napoleon each have group policy coverage from the Living History Association. Not surprisingly 9/11 has played havoc with the insurance industry, at least here in the States.

        So maybe that helps, or not. Personally, because of real craziness in our world, gun control "enthusiasts," the prodigious replication of lawyers and the resulting frivolous lawsuits (sorry Gentleman Jim Y., nothing personal) in our litigious society, I don't expect to be able to reenact for as long as I'm physically capable. I figure somewhere between 10 and 20 years and we will no longer have the right or privilege. Then it will be up to Hollywood and video games to teach people "how it was back then." :-P

        Michael

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
            So are you saying that if you've got extra insurance other than OHIP,
            that is sufficient? Or does it have to be specifically "Reenactor's
            Insurance?" I have insurance through my work with Clarica, so would
            that cover it? I know it covers me out of the country on medical &
            travel insurance etc. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't even mention
            reenactments.

            Calvin.
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
              From: "cl_1873" <arnt@...>

              > So are you saying that if you've got extra insurance other than OHIP,
              > that is sufficient? .......

              Calvin.
              I am saying to call your insurance provider, tell him you are
              going to an 1812 re-enactment that requires insurance and want to
              know if you are covered for liability and personal injury .............

              ... as I don't think we have any insurance agents on this list