Re: The Bully Boys

  • pingaca
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
      I share your dissatisfaction with 'The Bully Boys'. Some of
      the things that bothered me were Eric Walters' decision to
      move the Battle of Beaver Dams forward several weeks and the
      Americans' withdrawal from Fort George _back_ _five months_,
      and the way he chose to have John DeCew present throughout
      the story instead of in an American prisoner-of-war camp and
      to disregard that the militia had been sent home at that
      time (to say nothing of how he showed his protagonist
      harvesting corn in _July_).

      Your son might want to check out 'Son of the Hounds', by
      Robert Sutherland. It's pretty lightweight, but still a
      better book than 'The Bully Boys'. Sutherland does at
      least refer to FitzGibbon's men as "The Bloody Boys".

      Regards,

      Gretchen

      P.S. For a more singular take on FitzGibbon, there's always
      Tom Marshall's post-modern novel 'The Adventures of John
      Montgomery'.