Re: [WarOf1812] Unit Listing

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
      Does this mean that French canons have feet? Or can they not afford wheels and have to carry it everywhere?
      Sheesh leave it to the French!

    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        In a message dated 2/6/02 10:40:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, arnt@...
        writes:

        > and a small amount of financial investement. If I go as captain right away,
        > I never have to worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &

        Fair enough answer. At imes you have to take choices in the hobby and
        sometimes convenience or economic necessity must have precedence over
        historical accuracy. We too plan to have 12-15 members in our unit
        eventually and if I'm lucky and the membership still wants me as CO, I may
        have to make a Sergeants coat. For now, I remain a LCpl in command of 6.

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
          Nope, no horses. Had to eat 'em in Russia. ;-)

          For others not up on the jargon, batterie-a-pied and batterie-a-cheval refers to foot (gunners walked) and horse (everybody rides) artillery batteries. Foot batteries would normally be from 4 to 12 pound shot, while the horse batteries are 4 or 6 pounders. Though I did see an insistent reference to an 8 pound horse battery in French service.

          The recreated foot battery will be two 8 pounders if memory serves, both of course replicas. Coming out of Calgary.

          Michael

        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
            In a message dated 2/6/02 7:40:20 AM, arnt@... writes:

            << Fair enough question Ed.

            >We don't need a Captain just yet. I could easily assume the role of
            Corporal, until the unit grows larger. However, the jacket for a
            corporal and captain are quite different, and I don't want to have to
            sew two jackets. That is a lot of time, and a small amount of
            financial investement. If I go as captain right away, I never have to
            worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &
            expanding, so eventually a captain will be necessary. At the 200th
            anniversary I am quite certain that Lincoln Militia will be the toast
            of the town in the Niagara region, so we are building now for a large
            unit to show off to the press in 2012.
            Calvin. >>

            Righto Calvin!
            And If one gets promoted by one's General--who also MAKES the epaulets, etc.,
            for the higher commission -- one may wonder if it's simply a matter of
            necessary command structure!
            (Ooooo, Tim...you know we've already had a laugh over that!)
            ;-)

            And as Tim will point out, NCOs did not give commands on the line -- except
            in dire, and we mean DIRE, circumstance. That was the job of them poncy
            officers, no matter how one wishes to slice it.
            Then there is the matter of "presentation" to the public --- do we need a
            Pioneer? (they were there, it's a different aspect and uniform for the public
            to learn from)...what about a "Colour" Sergeant? And hey...those officers
            uniforms ARE really different from the ORs -- why? Lot's of educating to be
            done simply by what one wears....(yes of course, one must then be able to
            "DO" the part! Without saying!)

            B.
            Current Major, sometime Col., sometime "Brigadier"....
            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com