Re: Another Introduction

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
      Welcome to the list, Tom! If any of you haven't visited Tom's website,
      you should. Some excellent wares.

      Regards
      Lorina
      supplies
      (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
      info@...
    • tuckahoe1607
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "maintopman" <frigates@m...> wrote:
        > Tom Apple wrote:
        > >
        > > > I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from
        > the HMS
        > > DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.
        > >

        > I don't think I even know about that one, Tom - tell me about it. Is
        > there a website?

        Hey Roger,

        The HMS DeBraak is a RN brig that was sunk in a sudden squall off of
        Cape Henlopen, Delaware in 1798. I mounted about a dozen or so 24 pfr
        carronades and some six pdr chasers. It was formerly a Dutch vessel
        captured by the Brits and modified.

        The artifacts were recklessly salvaged by a salvage company who believed
        there was a large sum of gold aboard, which there wasn't. A lot of fiber
        and leather artifacts and an actual complete RN galley stove was pitched
        over board when their barge was overloaded.

        Fortunately the Delaware State Museum bought the collection and started
        having it preserved.

        A large amount of shoes, leather accouterments, knitted stockings and
        hat, clothing fragments, weapons, basically everything you find on a
        ship was found, even wigs. Chuck Fithian is the curator of Archaeology
        for the State of Delaware and has been working to get everything
        conserved. They found a multitude of interesting naval buttons, many
        identfying rank that weren't authorized until nine years later in 1807.
        Some neat composition officer button with the layer of gold foil
        laminated to it on the face of it. There is loads of cooperage, chests
        full of grapeshot, eating utensils and dishes, medical vials and
        bottles, the sum of it blows you away.

        Shomette, wrote a book about it. The title escapes me but it is
        something with DeBraak in it. I haven't the opportunity to see that
        particular book yet. Some of the collection is on display in a museum in
        Lewes, DE

        Regards,

        Tom Apple
      • maintopman
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
          Hi, Tom. Yes, all listed in Lyon with, just as you say, a note about
          the irresponsible "salvage". Original lines and profile and "as
          fitted" drafts of the brig exist in the Admiralty Plans collection at
          tha NMM.
          regards,

          Roger Marsh