Re: Another Introduction

  • tuckahoe1607
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "maintopman" <frigates@m...> wrote:

      > It's the PO'B Gunroom forum I know you from,
      is it not?

      Howdy Roger,

      Indeed it is in the POB Gunroom that we passed the bottle. No heel
      taps!

      I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from the HMS
      DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.

      Regards,

      Tom
    • maintopman
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
        Tom Apple wrote:

        > > I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from
        the HMS
        > DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.

        I don't think I even know about that one, Tom - tell me about it. Is
        there a website?

        Regards,

        Roger Marsh
      • Five Rivers
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
          Welcome to the list, Tom! If any of you haven't visited Tom's website,
          you should. Some excellent wares.

          Regards
          Lorina
          supplies
          (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
          info@...
        • tuckahoe1607
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "maintopman" <frigates@m...> wrote:
            > Tom Apple wrote:
            > >
            > > > I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from
            > the HMS
            > > DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.
            > >

            > I don't think I even know about that one, Tom - tell me about it. Is
            > there a website?

            Hey Roger,

            The HMS DeBraak is a RN brig that was sunk in a sudden squall off of
            Cape Henlopen, Delaware in 1798. I mounted about a dozen or so 24 pfr
            carronades and some six pdr chasers. It was formerly a Dutch vessel
            captured by the Brits and modified.

            The artifacts were recklessly salvaged by a salvage company who believed
            there was a large sum of gold aboard, which there wasn't. A lot of fiber
            and leather artifacts and an actual complete RN galley stove was pitched
            over board when their barge was overloaded.

            Fortunately the Delaware State Museum bought the collection and started
            having it preserved.

            A large amount of shoes, leather accouterments, knitted stockings and
            hat, clothing fragments, weapons, basically everything you find on a
            ship was found, even wigs. Chuck Fithian is the curator of Archaeology
            for the State of Delaware and has been working to get everything
            conserved. They found a multitude of interesting naval buttons, many
            identfying rank that weren't authorized until nine years later in 1807.
            Some neat composition officer button with the layer of gold foil
            laminated to it on the face of it. There is loads of cooperage, chests
            full of grapeshot, eating utensils and dishes, medical vials and
            bottles, the sum of it blows you away.

            Shomette, wrote a book about it. The title escapes me but it is
            something with DeBraak in it. I haven't the opportunity to see that
            particular book yet. Some of the collection is on display in a museum in
            Lewes, DE

            Regards,

            Tom Apple
          • maintopman
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
              Hi, Tom. Yes, all listed in Lyon with, just as you say, a note about
              the irresponsible "salvage". Original lines and profile and "as
              fitted" drafts of the brig exist in the Admiralty Plans collection at
              tha NMM.
              regards,

              Roger Marsh