Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Unit Listing

  • easeufe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4 6:21 PM
      In a message dated 2/4/02 10:37:57 AM Eastern Standard Time, arnt@...
      writes:

      > Lincoln
      > Militia will be out in a force of three this season.
      >
      > Calvin Arnt.

      Calvin,

      Curiosity gets the best of me. If your unit is only three people, why is
      there a need to have a captain, much less any offficer at all, when a
      corporal or lance-corporal would be more appropriate?

      Ed Seufert, LCpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      1st Co/2nd Batt RM

    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5 6:49 AM
        Mais oui! Which is why we have the French Army listed just above the non-1812 units (that for some reason have always been on the list). Represented of course by the 21e Regiment de Ligne and the Regiment Etranger Irlandais. I'm not aware of any representation on the list from our French cavalry corps (five different regiments), or other infantry elements (three). Same with the Russian and Prussian units. The Brigade Napoleon, BTW, has it's first artillery unit making application this year, a batterie-a-pied.

        Now, let's see, have I missed any plugs..... ;-)

        Sympathizer? Au plus profund de mon coeur, je suis francais!

        Amicalement,
        Michael, Keeper of the List, Scourge of the Hordes, yadda, yadda....

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6 7:31 AM
          Larry, I don't mind all that much if we list it that way. The only
          thing is, when we are in the field, we are going as Lincoln Militia
          in the early fall of 1812. IMUC didn't come until 1813. We will NOT
          be wearing the Red faced Green coats that Lincolns wore after IMUC
          was organized. We are going to look how they did before IMUC was
          formed.

          Our rationale for this is 1. It is expensive to have 2 or 3 different
          coats for one war. 2. If we wore the IMUC jacket, then we would not
          be historically correct for Detroit, Queenston Heights, the first
          Fort George. Like with all reenacting, wearing the older patterns can
          be argued that it was used in later points of the war, but not vice
          versa.

          Calvin Arnt.
          Captain, Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't, Flank Company.

          > From: "cl_1873" <arnt@v...>
          >
          > Under British Provincials, the Lincoln
          > Militia ...... Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't.
          >
          > Sir, may I suggest you be listed under
          >
          > Canadian Incorporated, Embodied and Sedentary Militia
          >
          > The Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
          > 1st Regt. Kent Militia
          > 1st Regt. Lincoln Militia
          > Corps of Canadian Voyageurs
          > Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment
          > Thomas Anderson's Company of Mississippi Volunteers
          > Joseph Rolette's Company of Voyageur Militia
        • cl_1873
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6 7:38 AM
            Fair enough question Ed.

            We don't need a Captain just yet. I could easily assume the role of
            Corporal, until the unit grows larger. However, the jacket for a
            corporal and captain are quite different, and I don't want to have to
            sew two jackets. That is a lot of time, and a small amount of
            financial investement. If I go as captain right away, I never have to
            worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &
            expanding, so eventually a captain will be necessary. At the 200th
            anniversary I am quite certain that Lincoln Militia will be the toast
            of the town in the Niagara region, so we are building now for a large
            unit to show off to the press in 2012.

            Calvin.

            --- In WarOf1812@y..., easeufe@a... wrote:
            > Calvin,
            >
            > Curiosity gets the best of me. If your unit is only three people,
            why is
            > there a need to have a captain, much less any offficer at all, when
            > corporal or lance-corporal would be more appropriate?
            >
            > Ed Seufert, LCpl
            > 1812 Royal Marines
            > 1st Co/2nd Batt RM

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6 4:42 PM
              Does this mean that French canons have feet? Or can they not afford wheels and have to carry it everywhere?
              Sheesh leave it to the French!

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6 8:20 PM
                In a message dated 2/6/02 10:40:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, arnt@...
                writes:

                > and a small amount of financial investement. If I go as captain right away,
                > I never have to worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &

                Fair enough answer. At imes you have to take choices in the hobby and
                sometimes convenience or economic necessity must have precedence over
                historical accuracy. We too plan to have 12-15 members in our unit
                eventually and if I'm lucky and the membership still wants me as CO, I may
                have to make a Sergeants coat. For now, I remain a LCpl in command of 6.

                Ed Seufert, LCpl
                1812 Royal Marines
                1st Co/2nd Batt RM

              • PEGGY MATHEWS
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 7 7:21 PM
                  Nope, no horses. Had to eat 'em in Russia. ;-)

                  For others not up on the jargon, batterie-a-pied and batterie-a-cheval refers to foot (gunners walked) and horse (everybody rides) artillery batteries. Foot batteries would normally be from 4 to 12 pound shot, while the horse batteries are 4 or 6 pounders. Though I did see an insistent reference to an 8 pound horse battery in French service.

                  The recreated foot battery will be two 8 pounders if memory serves, both of course replicas. Coming out of Calgary.

                  Michael

                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 7 10:38 PM
                    In a message dated 2/6/02 7:40:20 AM, arnt@... writes:

                    << Fair enough question Ed.

                    >We don't need a Captain just yet. I could easily assume the role of
                    Corporal, until the unit grows larger. However, the jacket for a
                    corporal and captain are quite different, and I don't want to have to
                    sew two jackets. That is a lot of time, and a small amount of
                    financial investement. If I go as captain right away, I never have to
                    worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &
                    expanding, so eventually a captain will be necessary. At the 200th
                    anniversary I am quite certain that Lincoln Militia will be the toast
                    of the town in the Niagara region, so we are building now for a large
                    unit to show off to the press in 2012.
                    Calvin. >>

                    Righto Calvin!
                    And If one gets promoted by one's General--who also MAKES the epaulets, etc.,
                    for the higher commission -- one may wonder if it's simply a matter of
                    necessary command structure!
                    (Ooooo, Tim...you know we've already had a laugh over that!)
                    ;-)

                    And as Tim will point out, NCOs did not give commands on the line -- except
                    in dire, and we mean DIRE, circumstance. That was the job of them poncy
                    officers, no matter how one wishes to slice it.
                    Then there is the matter of "presentation" to the public --- do we need a
                    Pioneer? (they were there, it's a different aspect and uniform for the public
                    to learn from)...what about a "Colour" Sergeant? And hey...those officers
                    uniforms ARE really different from the ORs -- why? Lot's of educating to be
                    done simply by what one wears....(yes of course, one must then be able to
                    "DO" the part! Without saying!)

                    B.
                    Current Major, sometime Col., sometime "Brigadier"....
                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com