Re: Another Introduction

  • maintopman
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
      Tom Apple wrote:
      > Greetings Liste,
      >
      > I've have just joined your august company. >>

      Hi, Tom, and welcome. It's the PO'B Gunroom forum I know you from, is
      it not?

      Regards,

      Roger Marsh
    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
        In a message dated 2/4/02 11:16:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        tuckahoe@... writes:

        > My W1812 interest mostly
        > lies with the navies, unfortunately my busy schedule hasn't allowed me
        > much involvement in W1812 events except a few at Fort Norfolk. I look
        > forward to being more active in the future.

        Welcome aboard Tom.

        I take it your from Virginia. Though small, 1812 is growing in Maryland. If
        you get a chance, come on up to one of our events.

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

      • tuckahoe1607
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "maintopman" <frigates@m...> wrote:

          > It's the PO'B Gunroom forum I know you from,
          is it not?

          Howdy Roger,

          Indeed it is in the POB Gunroom that we passed the bottle. No heel
          taps!

          I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from the HMS
          DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.

          Regards,

          Tom
        • maintopman
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
            Tom Apple wrote:

            > > I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from
            the HMS
            > DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.

            I don't think I even know about that one, Tom - tell me about it. Is
            there a website?

            Regards,

            Roger Marsh
          • Five Rivers
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
              Welcome to the list, Tom! If any of you haven't visited Tom's website,
              you should. Some excellent wares.

              Regards
              Lorina
              supplies
              (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
              info@...
            • tuckahoe1607
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
                --- In WarOf1812@y..., "maintopman" <frigates@m...> wrote:
                > Tom Apple wrote:
                > >
                > > > I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from
                > the HMS
                > > DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.
                > >

                > I don't think I even know about that one, Tom - tell me about it. Is
                > there a website?

                Hey Roger,

                The HMS DeBraak is a RN brig that was sunk in a sudden squall off of
                Cape Henlopen, Delaware in 1798. I mounted about a dozen or so 24 pfr
                carronades and some six pdr chasers. It was formerly a Dutch vessel
                captured by the Brits and modified.

                The artifacts were recklessly salvaged by a salvage company who believed
                there was a large sum of gold aboard, which there wasn't. A lot of fiber
                and leather artifacts and an actual complete RN galley stove was pitched
                over board when their barge was overloaded.

                Fortunately the Delaware State Museum bought the collection and started
                having it preserved.

                A large amount of shoes, leather accouterments, knitted stockings and
                hat, clothing fragments, weapons, basically everything you find on a
                ship was found, even wigs. Chuck Fithian is the curator of Archaeology
                for the State of Delaware and has been working to get everything
                conserved. They found a multitude of interesting naval buttons, many
                identfying rank that weren't authorized until nine years later in 1807.
                Some neat composition officer button with the layer of gold foil
                laminated to it on the face of it. There is loads of cooperage, chests
                full of grapeshot, eating utensils and dishes, medical vials and
                bottles, the sum of it blows you away.

                Shomette, wrote a book about it. The title escapes me but it is
                something with DeBraak in it. I haven't the opportunity to see that
                particular book yet. Some of the collection is on display in a museum in
                Lewes, DE

                Regards,

                Tom Apple
              • maintopman
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
                  Hi, Tom. Yes, all listed in Lyon with, just as you say, a note about
                  the irresponsible "salvage". Original lines and profile and "as
                  fitted" drafts of the brig exist in the Admiralty Plans collection at
                  tha NMM.
                  regards,

                  Roger Marsh