Re: 19th Century Warships - Captain's Quarters

  • maintopman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
      Gerry Tordiff wrote: "I'm looking for drawings/photographs of
      replicas of the Captain's quarters in a 19th century warship".

      1801 or 1899, Gerry? Here are a few websites:

      Mid- 19thC British steam (and sail) warship ("Steam Frigate", though
      then the most powerful warship afloat):

      "Warrior", 1860, Portsmouth, at http://www.hmswarrior.org, or
      straight into Captains's quarters at
      http://www.hmswarrior.org/office1.htm

      Early 19thC naval vessels or survivors from 18thC:

      http://www.hms-victory.com/previewtour.htm - slide 2 show's Admiral's
      cabin on First rate; very similar to Captain's.

      http://www.nelson-society.org.uk/html/prayer.htm (Admiral's cabin)

      http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/ - British 18-pdr. 38-gun frigate
      ("Leda" group, sister to Broke's "Shannon" of the war of 1812) – go
      to "Virtual Trincomalee" – Gun Deck (upper deck) – click on "A", The
      Great Cabin. There is another survivor of the group at
      http://www.frigateunicorn.org/index.htm (Unicorn, in Dundee), but I
      can't find a shot of the cabin on her site.

      http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/ - US heavy frigate, 24-pdr. 44 –
      "The Gun Deck" – click on cabins at stern. A genuine War of 1812
      frigate.

      18thC vessel:

      http://www.barkendeavour.com.au/ - replica of smaller 18thCentury
      vessel, Cook's ship on first voyage of exploration. Click on Gallery –
      Interior.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Regards,

      Roger Marsh
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
        Gerry - You have asked a very broad question, and you have been
        receiving some good responses. But are you specifically looking for
        the vessel's captain's quarters on a 10 gun schooner or those on a
        1st rate flagship? Some specifics would be helpful. Doug

        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Gerry Tordiff" <gtordiff@o...> wrote:
        > I have a query for the 19th century "naval types" out there in "One-
        List Land". I'm looking for drawings/photographs of replicas of the
        Captain's quarters in a 19th century warship, or even suggested movie
        videos with accurate depictions. Suggested reliable book titles with
        such items would be welcomed as well. Please contact me offline if
        you wish, thanks. Captain Bob Tordiff