Another Introduction

  • tuckahoe1607
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
      Greetings Liste,

      I've have just joined your august company. My name is Tom Apple and I've
      been involved in reenacting for over 25 years in various periods from
      early 17th century to the American Civil War. My W1812 interest mostly
      lies with the navies, unfortunately my busy schedule hasn't allowed me
      much involvement in W1812 events except a few at Fort Norfolk. I look
      forward to being more active in the future.

      I am also co-owner of a business that sells and makes historical
      reproductions called Tuckahoe Trading Company.

      I appreciate the opportunity to discuss and share information of this
      oft overlooked period of American history with you fine folks.

      Sincerely,

      Tom Apple
    • maintopman
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
        Tom Apple wrote:
        > Greetings Liste,
        >
        > I've have just joined your august company. >>

        Hi, Tom, and welcome. It's the PO'B Gunroom forum I know you from, is
        it not?

        Regards,

        Roger Marsh
      • easeufe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
          In a message dated 2/4/02 11:16:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          tuckahoe@... writes:

          > My W1812 interest mostly
          > lies with the navies, unfortunately my busy schedule hasn't allowed me
          > much involvement in W1812 events except a few at Fort Norfolk. I look
          > forward to being more active in the future.

          Welcome aboard Tom.

          I take it your from Virginia. Though small, 1812 is growing in Maryland. If
          you get a chance, come on up to one of our events.

          Ed Seufert, LCpl
          1812 Royal Marines
          1st Co/2nd Batt RM

        • tuckahoe1607
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "maintopman" <frigates@m...> wrote:

            > It's the PO'B Gunroom forum I know you from,
            is it not?

            Howdy Roger,

            Indeed it is in the POB Gunroom that we passed the bottle. No heel
            taps!

            I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from the HMS
            DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.

            Regards,

            Tom
          • maintopman
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
              Tom Apple wrote:

              > > I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from
              the HMS
              > DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.

              I don't think I even know about that one, Tom - tell me about it. Is
              there a website?

              Regards,

              Roger Marsh
            • Five Rivers
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
                Welcome to the list, Tom! If any of you haven't visited Tom's website,
                you should. Some excellent wares.

                Regards
                Lorina
                supplies
                (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
                info@...
              • tuckahoe1607
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., "maintopman" <frigates@m...> wrote:
                  > Tom Apple wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I recently had the pleasure to view many of the artifacts from
                  > the HMS
                  > > DeBraak. A singular treasure trove of circa 1798 material culture.
                  > >

                  > I don't think I even know about that one, Tom - tell me about it. Is
                  > there a website?

                  Hey Roger,

                  The HMS DeBraak is a RN brig that was sunk in a sudden squall off of
                  Cape Henlopen, Delaware in 1798. I mounted about a dozen or so 24 pfr
                  carronades and some six pdr chasers. It was formerly a Dutch vessel
                  captured by the Brits and modified.

                  The artifacts were recklessly salvaged by a salvage company who believed
                  there was a large sum of gold aboard, which there wasn't. A lot of fiber
                  and leather artifacts and an actual complete RN galley stove was pitched
                  over board when their barge was overloaded.

                  Fortunately the Delaware State Museum bought the collection and started
                  having it preserved.

                  A large amount of shoes, leather accouterments, knitted stockings and
                  hat, clothing fragments, weapons, basically everything you find on a
                  ship was found, even wigs. Chuck Fithian is the curator of Archaeology
                  for the State of Delaware and has been working to get everything
                  conserved. They found a multitude of interesting naval buttons, many
                  identfying rank that weren't authorized until nine years later in 1807.
                  Some neat composition officer button with the layer of gold foil
                  laminated to it on the face of it. There is loads of cooperage, chests
                  full of grapeshot, eating utensils and dishes, medical vials and
                  bottles, the sum of it blows you away.

                  Shomette, wrote a book about it. The title escapes me but it is
                  something with DeBraak in it. I haven't the opportunity to see that
                  particular book yet. Some of the collection is on display in a museum in
                  Lewes, DE

                  Regards,

                  Tom Apple
                • maintopman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
                    Hi, Tom. Yes, all listed in Lyon with, just as you say, a note about
                    the irresponsible "salvage". Original lines and profile and "as
                    fitted" drafts of the brig exist in the Admiralty Plans collection at
                    tha NMM.
                    regards,

                    Roger Marsh