19th Century Warships - Captain's Quarters

  • Gerry Tordiff
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
      I have a query for the 19th century "naval types" out there in "One-List Land". I'm looking for drawings/photographs of replicas of the Captain's quarters in a 19th century warship, or even suggested movie videos with accurate depictions. Suggested reliable book titles with such items would be welcomed as well. Please contact me offline if you wish, thanks. Captain Bob Tordiff

    • tuckahoe1607
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Gerry Tordiff" <gtordiff@o...> wrote:
        > I have a query for the 19th century "naval types" out there in "One-List Land". I'm looking for drawings/photographs of replicas of the Captain's quarters in a 19th century warship,

        Greetings,

        You can do a search on the National Maritime Museum Site, which I know
        has a period painting showing a captain's quarters. For some reason it
        is down at the moment, but the URL is:

        http://www.nmm.ac.uk/searchstation/index.html

        Also Stephen Biesty's _Crossection of a Man of War_ is useful. Though
        kind of kiddie book, it is based on pretty sound information and with a
        few exceptions is pretty accurate. It cuts the HMS Victory into 10
        sections showing all the activity that would go on in each section and
        deck. There is the added challenge of finding the stowaway in each
        picture.

        Cheers,

        Tom Apple
      • maintopman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
          Gerry Tordiff wrote: "I'm looking for drawings/photographs of
          replicas of the Captain's quarters in a 19th century warship".

          1801 or 1899, Gerry? Here are a few websites:

          Mid- 19thC British steam (and sail) warship ("Steam Frigate", though
          then the most powerful warship afloat):

          "Warrior", 1860, Portsmouth, at http://www.hmswarrior.org, or
          straight into Captains's quarters at
          http://www.hmswarrior.org/office1.htm

          Early 19thC naval vessels or survivors from 18thC:

          http://www.hms-victory.com/previewtour.htm - slide 2 show's Admiral's
          cabin on First rate; very similar to Captain's.

          http://www.nelson-society.org.uk/html/prayer.htm (Admiral's cabin)

          http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/ - British 18-pdr. 38-gun frigate
          ("Leda" group, sister to Broke's "Shannon" of the war of 1812) – go
          to "Virtual Trincomalee" – Gun Deck (upper deck) – click on "A", The
          Great Cabin. There is another survivor of the group at
          http://www.frigateunicorn.org/index.htm (Unicorn, in Dundee), but I
          can't find a shot of the cabin on her site.

          http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/ - US heavy frigate, 24-pdr. 44 –
          "The Gun Deck" – click on cabins at stern. A genuine War of 1812
          frigate.

          18thC vessel:

          http://www.barkendeavour.com.au/ - replica of smaller 18thCentury
          vessel, Cook's ship on first voyage of exploration. Click on Gallery –
          Interior.

          Hope this is helpful.

          Regards,

          Roger Marsh
        • colsjtjones2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
            Gerry - You have asked a very broad question, and you have been
            receiving some good responses. But are you specifically looking for
            the vessel's captain's quarters on a 10 gun schooner or those on a
            1st rate flagship? Some specifics would be helpful. Doug

            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Gerry Tordiff" <gtordiff@o...> wrote:
            > I have a query for the 19th century "naval types" out there in "One-
            List Land". I'm looking for drawings/photographs of replicas of the