Fw: [WarOf1812] Battle of Georgian Bay and Saving Living History Encampments on Historic Sites

  • David Brunelle
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Larry Lozon <lalozon@...>
      To: <mailto:Undisclosed-Recipient:;@...>
      Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 11:15 PM
      Subject: [WarOf1812] Battle of Georgian Bay and Saving Living History
      Encampments on Historic Sites

      > Dear Fellow Re-enactors and Friends,
      >
      > It has come to our attention through the media that the Province of
      Ontario Premier, Mike Harris has directed Tim Hudak and the Ontario Ministry
      of Tourism to review the controversy surrounding the Battle of Georgian Bay
      and Discovery Harbour. The issue as many of you know, is that the Ministry
      of Tourism has banned the grand encampment on Discovery Harbour property
      because they have deemed it might be ruining the archaeological remains.
      The ministry is using the Ontario Heritage Act as its reasons and for living
      history re-enactors this is setting a dangerous precedent as this rule if
      applied to one historic site in Ontario will have to apply to all historic
      sites. The end result is that great re-enactments such as Fort Erie, Fort
      George, Stoneycreek, Fort Willow, Fort York, Fort Niagara, Louisbourg,
      Quebec etc. would have to follow suit and we could find ourselves camping in
      modern parks and open fields ruining the historical ambience of our hobby
      and tainting great living history events. With Mike Harris now involved we
      are looking for further support and action to help save the Battle of
      Georgian Bay and living history encampments on historical sites across
      Ontario in general.

      > Please forward your support and concerns by letter or E-mail to Mike
      Harris, Premier of Ontario at:
      > E-mail: webprem@...
      >
      > Mailing Address: Office of the Premier, Legislative Building, Queen's
      Park, Toronto ON M7A 1A1

      square miles...