Battle of Georgian Bay and Saving Living History Encampments on Historic Sites

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      Dear Fellow Re-enactors and Friends,

      It has come to our attention through the media that the Province of Ontario Premier, Mike Harris has directed Tim Hudak and the Ontario Ministry of Tourism to review the controversy surrounding the Battle of Georgian Bay and Discovery Harbour. The issue as many of you know, is that the Ministry of Tourism has banned the grand encampment on Discovery Harbour property because they have deemed it might be ruining the archaeological remains. The ministry is using the Ontario Heritage Act as its reasons and for living history re-enactors this is setting a dangerous precedent as this rule if applied to one historic site in Ontario will have to apply to all historic sites. The end result is that great re-enactments such as Fort Erie, Fort George, Stoneycreek, Fort York, Fort Niagara, Louisbourg, Quebec etc. would have to follow suit and we could find ourselves camping in modern parks and open fields ruining the historical ambience of our hobby and tainting great living history events. With Mike Harris now involved we are looking for further support and action to help save the Battle of Georgian Bay and living history encampments on historical sites across Ontario in general.

      Please forward your support and concerns by letter or E-mail to Mike Harris, Premier of Ontario at:
      E-mail: webprem@...

      Mailing Address: Office of the Premier, Legislative Building, Queen's Park, Toronto ON M7A 1A1