Re: Troop movement

  • need2loseplease
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2002
      I actually got the figure from reading a biography of the the diary
      of Lieutenant John Lang off the Discriminating General's Site (by Mr.
      Lynde too, lol) and it listed his departure datea s April 17 and
      arrival date (in Quebec City) as May 16th I believe. I realize that
      no travel was possible up the St. Lawrence from mid december to april
      (?) because it was frozen over in sections. Perhaps I misread the
      article.

      I took another look at it today and in the footnotes it says this.
      (correct me if I'm wrong please Mr. Lynde)

      "The passage to Canada had long been notorious for "frozen fogs, seas
      of compacted ice, and contrary winds." Admiral Lord Colville to John
      Cleveland, 24 May 1760. ADM. 1/ 482. Observations on the passage more
      contemporaneous to Lang may be found in William
      Dunlop, "Recollections of the American War, 1812 – 1814," in Carl F.
      Klinck, ed. Tiger Dunlop's Upper Canada, New Canadian Library #55
      (Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1967), pp. 5-6. The regiment to
      which Dunlop acted as assistant-surgeon, 2/89th Foot, was part of the
      same reinforcement as the 19th Light Dragoons, but sailed in autumn
      1813. That it took some three months for Dunlop to reach Canada,
      while Lang's convoy did so in barely a month, was probably due to the
      fact that the later convoy sailed from the Isle of Wight, and thus
      had not only greater distance to cover, but also had to traverse the
      often tempestuous and contrary seas off the south coast of England.
      Returning to England after the fall of Quebec in 1759, for example,
      Admiral Saunders was forced by rough weather to make for Cork after
      several failed attempts at his intended destination, Portsmouth.
      Saunders to Cleveland, 11 December 1759. ADM. 1/482."

      I don't quite understand why there was such a disparity, but that's
      where I got the original idea (which is now being changed to 2-3
      months I suppose?