Re: [WarOf1812] One More Canuck Question...

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2002
      Hi 'L'
      I think you need to define your term 'Canadian'. Strictly speaking neither Richardson, nor Le Couteur fit the bill. This term was generally restricted at this time
      to inhabitants of Lower Canada, or French-speakers in other parts of British North America - Le Couteur's own diary makes this clear. Le Couteur was from the Channel
      Isles. I know of no diaries from such 'Canadian' soldiers - most of whom would have been militia soldiers, or in the 'Foreign' corps such as De Watteville, De Meuron.
      This said, however, the recollections of Richardson, Le Couteur, and even the very late account of Fitzgibbon's career might be valuable. This is based on his
      correspondence and papers, but written by his granddaughter 80 years after the War of 1812 had ended. In Victoria University Library (University of Toronto), housed in
      the United Church of Canada Archives, is the unpublished transcript of the Journal of George Ferguson of the 100th Regt. of Foot. It was written in the 1840s, and is a
      bit fuzzy on some of the details. Ferguson was more concerned about the state of his own soul and those of his fellow soldiers than he was in describing living
      conditions and 'actual life'. But, it might be useful. Shadrach Byfield's 'Memoir' is also available in many versions. See the website of the 41st Regiment Military
      Living History Group to be found at http://members.tripod.com/~fortyfirst However, it is also short on the details of living conditions.
      I understand someone is working on the journal of Lieutenant Cochrane of the 41st Regiment, but I have heard nothing of the date of publication.
      Hope this helps
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regiment of Foot MLHG