Sad news from camp

  • Susan Spencer McLean
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 24, 2002
      Many of you will know Mike and Liz Taylor, friendly voyageur types who
      often camp alongside us at our Canadian re-enactments and always welcome
      us to their fireside for good food, good grog, or just good cheer.

      Sadly, their young son Mike, who has been plagued by medical problems
      and seizures since birth, has passed away following a series of
      surgeries that it had been hoped would help him. He died quietly
      without regaining consciousness.

      I understand that the funeral will be this Saturday in Brantford, with
      visitation on Friday evening, but at this point I don't know the details
      of timing or place. Neither do I yet have a contact address for those
      who might like to send a note or a card. If you would like to send
      something or go to pay your respects, please feel free to contact me
      off-list and I'll do my level best to find out what the details are. Or
      if anyone on the list knows the details, would they please contact me
      and let me know.

      In sadness,
      -- Susan McLean
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 24, 2002
        TAYLOR MICHAEL Keith On Wednesday, January 23,
        2002, at University Hospital London, in his 21st year;
        cherished son of Mike and Liz Taylor; much loved brother
        of Marion (Nannette) Johnston and Dan Monahan, Jeffery
        and Caroline Donachy-Taylor and Tanya and Dwight
        Fowler, loved grandson of Marion Miller, all of Brantford;
        predeceased by sister Rhonda. Michael will be sadly
        missed by many aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.
        Memorial donations to the Epilepsy Foundation gratefully
        appreciated. Visitation at McCLEISTER FUNERAL HOME, 30
        Brant Avenue, Friday 7 to 9 p. m. Funeral Service in the
        chapel Saturday at 10 a. m. Interment in Mount Hope
        Cemetery. McCLEISTER, 759-5400.

        Susan Spencer McLean wrote:

        > Many of you will know Mike and Liz Taylor, friendly voyageur types who
        > often camp alongside us at our Canadian re-enactments and always welcome
        > us to their fireside for good food, good grog, or just good cheer.
        >
        > Sadly, their young son Mike, who has been plagued by medical problems
        > and seizures since birth, has passed away following a series of
        > surgeries that it had been hoped would help him. He died quietly
        > without regaining consciousness.
        >
        > I understand that the funeral will be this Saturday in Brantford, with
        > visitation on Friday evening, but at this point I don't know the details
        > of timing or place. Neither do I yet have a contact address for those
        > who might like to send a note or a card. If you would like to send
        > something or go to pay your respects, please feel free to contact me
        > off-list and I'll do my level best to find out what the details are. Or
        > if anyone on the list knows the details, would they please contact me
        > and let me know.
        >
        > In sadness,
        > -- Susan McLean

      • Susan Spencer
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
          I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
          friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
          from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more years
          as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
          Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
          addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

          It looks at this point like funeral services will be held on Wednesday.
          I will post the information to everyone as soon as I have it.

          A piece of my heart has gone with our Bev -- he was such a fixture in
          camp! He was always ready for a good long chat and he was always up for
          an adventure. I'll never forget the drive to and from the first Quebec
          City event with him -- in between getting lost, flat tires, wonky
          headlights, and trying to order ice cream and get directions in French,
          we made some great memories.

          Travel safely onward, my friend -- may your path be easier now, and may
          you always find a new adventure over the next hill.

          In sadness,
          -- Sioux
        • wolf_bna
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
            The British Native Allies would like to express our condolences on the
            passing of Bev Nichols. Bev was also a beloved member of the British
            Native Allies. We shall miss him but his spirit shall always travel
            with us.

            Onenkiwahi Atenkora Okwari
          • Stephen Posner
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
              Susan

              Thank you for letting us know about the sad passing of Bev Nicholls. As you
              said, he was a very good friend to everyone and was always willing to lend a
              hand and have a chat. He will be sorely missed on suttlers row, and in
              reenacting generally.

              Our sincere thoughts and best wishes to his family. He is now in a far
              better place, but he will live on in all our memories.

              Stephen & Karen Posner
            • Elizabeth Woodley
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
                It breaks my heart to hear such sad news about the passing of
                Robert "Bev" Nicol. Bev was very close to my heart. He took me under
                his wing when I first started in re-enacting and had many wonderful
                stories and memories to share. I will miss his warm hugs and patience
                teachings in leather work. This last year was very tough on Bev with
                his health failing. He always talked about getting back to camp when
                he was better. I will miss him dearly.
                My condolences to his wife, Roberta (Lil)and the rest of his family.
                Bev, may your journey be easier now and know that your spirit and
                friendship will be held close to my heart.

                Elizabeth Woodley-Hall
                RNR Bugler's Coy
              • Dale Kidd
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                  On behalf of Allison and myself, deepest condolences to Bev's family
                  and friends. He will be sadly missed by all in the 1812 reenacting
                  community.

                  In sympathy,
                  Dale Kidd
                • Peter Monahan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                    On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Bulger's Company, our condolences to Bev's family and friends. He was a good man and a friend to many of us and he will truly be missed. Rest in peace.

                    Peter Monahan, RNR
                  • bmitcheca
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                      On Behalf of myself and my husband Gord, we extend our best wishes to
                      Bev's family. Bev will indeed be greatly missed. He was a good
                      friend to us and was one of the first to welcome us to sutler's row.
                      In our 17 years of re-enacting, we have found that one of the best
                      things about this hobby is the people you meet and the friends that
                      you make.
                      With great sadness and a heavy heart ..
                      Beth Mitchell
                    • Rick Peterson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                        On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Skinner's Coy, I would like
                        to extend my condolences to the Nichol family and friends.

                        As some of you may know, Bev was also a very active member of the
                        Hamilton Branch United Empire Loyalists. For many years he donned the
                        Butler's Rangers garb, and was the standard bearer for all their
                        meetings and ceremonies.
                        His loss is far reaching, and will be felt by all those whom he knew.

                        Rick Peterson, RNR
                      • Dave Westhouse
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                          On behalf of the 1st Royal Scots Grenadier Company I would like to
                          extend the deepest sympathies of our group to the family of Bev
                          Nichols. It is always so sad to hear of the loss of one of our friends
                          in re-enacting.

                          It was always nice to see Bev in his tent selling his wares. He was a
                          fixture and will be sorely missed. Many a tear shall be shed when his
                          name is read, at Fort Niagara, from the list of members who have moved
                          on to grander pastures.

                          Dave Westhouse, Corporal
                          1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote:

                          > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                          > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
                          > from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more
                          years
                          > as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
                          > Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
                          > addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

                          > In sadness,
                          > -- Sioux
                        • John Harris
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                            My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always sad when we
                            loose a member of our time family.
                            With respect
                            John Harris
                            22nd US Infantry

                            Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
                            From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
                            Subject: Sad news from camp

                            I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                            friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
                            from a long illness.
                          • Craig Williams
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                              Once again we are sadly and greatly diminished.
                              On behalf of the CMHS, I extend heartfelt condolences to Bev's family.
                              I will miss him.

                              Craig Williams
                              On 6-Mar-06, at 5:26 PM, John Harris wrote:

                              > My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always
                              > sad when we
                              > loose a member of our time family.
                              > With respect
                              > John Harris
                              > 22nd US Infantry
                              >

                              > Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
                              > From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
                              > Subject: Sad news from camp
                              >
                              > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                              > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many
                              > complications
                              > from a long illness.

                              > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
                              > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

                            • roy winders
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 11, 2006
                                Having just returned from my brothers funeral in the u.k, i am saddened by news of Bevs passing, he will truly be missed. Please pass on my deepest simpathy to Bevs family.
                                Roy Winders, B.I.D.
                                Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote: I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
[...]

                                ---------------------------------
                                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                                American Forces Unit Listing
                                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                United state history United kingdom Living history War of 1812

                                ---------------------------------

                              • Spencer's Mercantile
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
                                  Dear folks --

                                  I'm very sorry to have to give you the news that Linda Wilkinson, mother of Chris Wilkinson, has been diagnosed with liver cancer and has been given a very short time to remain amongst us. She is currently in Henderson Hospital in Hamilton. I'm sure that many of you will remember Linda's gentle, quiet presence in camp. She will certainly be very much missed. Frankly, I don't know what Sparky or the kids will do without her.

                                  To make matters worse, Chris is currently unavailable, but as far as I know, his email is still receiving messages in the interim -- the last email that I have for him is littlefeatherscrafts(at)yahoo.ca. (Linda does not have email of her own.) However, if you would like to send Linda a card or something directly, the addresses are as follows:

                                  Home:
                                  George (Sparky) and Linda Wilkinson
                                  79 Province St. N.
                                  Hamilton, ON
                                  L8H 4H5

                                  Hospital:
                                  Mrs. Linda Wilkinson, Patient,
                                  Ward F5, Room 11, Bed 4
                                  Henderson Hospital
                                  711 Concession Street,
                                  Hamilton, ON
                                  L8V 1C3

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
                                    It's just been brought to my attention that Linda may be transferring hospitals very soon, so sending things to the home address is the best idea for the moment.

                                    -- Sioux

                                  • Spencer's Mercantile
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                                      Many of you will remember Debbie Shepherd, who spent many years re-enacting with us, portraying a voyageur/native. Unbeknown to most of us, she was also fighting valiant battle with cancer over many of the last years. Sadly, she succumbed to the disease on Tuesday. She had spent the afternoon in the spring sunshine, visiting her sister.

                                      We will miss her cheery presence and wonderful hospitality in camp, and in life. Her last event was Longwoods last year -- one of her favourite events. I'm ever so grateful that we had a chance to visit a bit then.

                                      Funeral arrangements will be through:
                                      Eric F. Nicholls Funeral Home

                                      639 Elgin St
                                      Wallaceburg, Ontario
                                      Canada N8A 3C6

                                      http://www.ericfnichollsfuneralhome.com/index.cfm

                                      Visitation is supposed to be Sunday 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm and funeral on Monday -- no details are posted as of yet, but I understand that they will be shortly.

                                      In sadness,

                                      -- Sioux

                                    • roy winders
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                        Sad news indeed, R.I.P. Debbie.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 29

                                          It is with profound sadness that I must report the passing of potter Doug Loveland, known to many of you as the proprietor of the shop Crude Local Pottery. He left us yesterday evening at 9:45 after a long and hard fought battle with cancer.

                                          I will post details of any arrangements once they are available.

                                          In sorrow,

                                          -- Sioux

                                        • spencersmerc