Re: towers

  • colsjtjones2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
      There are 4 martello towers in the Kingston area - the Cedar Island
      tower - the Ft Frederick tower (Royal Naval Dockyard previously
      mentioned) - the Shoal Tower in the waters of Kingston Harbour -
      and the Murney tower in the southern approaches. Please note that
      the ditch towers at Ft Henry are not martellos.

      There are also a number of martellos in Canada to the east of
      Kingston. Refer to "Canadian Historic Sites - A History of Martello
      Towers in the Defence of British North America, 1796 - 1871". Ivan
      J. Saunders Canadian Historic Sites #15.

      Doug