Re: towers

  • alaidh
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Bateman, Andrew" <abateman@g...> wrote:
      > > -----Original Message-----
      > > From: dancingbobd@w... [mailto:dancingbobd@w...]

      According to a book on US seacost fortifications, there were several
      Martello towers involved in the seaward defenses of New York harbor at
      the time of the War of 1812. At least one, if I remember correctly, was
      on the New Jersey side, about where Stevens Institute of Technology is
      today. I know a couple of grads who refere to "the old tower" that is
      on campus, on a bluff overlooking the lower approaches to the harbor.
      Would that be it, possibly??

      > > Hi Max,
      > >
      > > For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
      > > shot tower perhaps?
      >
      > A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
      > consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
      > degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
      > floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
      > quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
      > by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
      > have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
      > about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
      > ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.
      >
      > Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
        There are 4 martello towers in the Kingston area - the Cedar Island
        tower - the Ft Frederick tower (Royal Naval Dockyard previously
        mentioned) - the Shoal Tower in the waters of Kingston Harbour -
        and the Murney tower in the southern approaches. Please note that
        the ditch towers at Ft Henry are not martellos.

        There are also a number of martellos in Canada to the east of
        Kingston. Refer to "Canadian Historic Sites - A History of Martello
        Towers in the Defence of British North America, 1796 - 1871". Ivan
        J. Saunders Canadian Historic Sites #15.

        Doug