Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Musket Explosion

  • Vince Wilding
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 4, 2002
      In my experience, most folks don't know the difference between a musket
      and a rifle, especially news people

      Also, you have to remember this about ANY news story---
      After sitting down, reading and analyzing any given news item, you will
      get a pretty good idea of what DIDN'T happen.

      badger222ca wrote:

      > --- In WarOf1812@y..., Vince Wilding <vince@V...> wrote:
      > > Is this the story you're talking about?
      > >
      > > http://www.therecord.com/news/news_020104976.html
      > >
      > > --
      > > Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee & Minnie's Majordomo)
      > > email:Vince (at) VinceWilding.com http://www.VinceWilding.com
      > > I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
      >
      > If the weapon was 150 years old and a rifle, isn't it likely it was
      > not a flintlock at all but a percussion model? Most journos on
      > smaller papers these days are young females who don't know much about
      > the nuances of firearms.
      > T.Avery
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee & Minnie's Majordomo)
      email:Vince (at) VinceWilding.com http://www.VinceWilding.com
      When all other means of communication fail, try words.
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 10, 2002
        In reviewing my message #13236 below, I must admit I don't think it
        is particularly appropriate to the discussion. Teddy was discussing
        artillery. We are talking about muskets or rifles.

        But I would say that the reproductions we use have modern
        steel barrels of much greater strenght than the originals. And being
        recent, have not suffered the depredations of time, neglect and
        uncertain maintenance. Anyone using a 150 year old plus original in
        re-enactment is an accident waiting to happen.

        Doug