Musket Explosion

    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 4, 2002
      From: "terry1813" <tlubka@...>

      > > From: "Leonard E Heidebrecht" <lheidebrecht@L...>
      > >
      > > " ... a woman in the Kitchener Ont area, ... injured by a musket ... "

      > Yes and this leads to a whole series of questions. Was the guy using
      > black powder or modern powder? Did he put a ball down the muzzle? If
      > so was it rammed all the way?
      > The article also states that the owner's legally owned and stored
      > other firearms were removed by the police. Why?
      > Now I just hope that some nutbar politician in Ottawa does not use
      > this incident as a rallying cry to legislate flintlocks into some
      > kind of stupid law.
      > ------------------------

      Terry:
      Today on the Kitchener radio station they sort of answered your
      questions.............

      " Was the guy using black powder or modern powder? "

      The guy was a black powder shooter, so we assume he used black powder
      _____________________

      " Did he put a ball down the muzzle? If so was it rammed all the way?"

      Apparently no ball was in the barrel
      ______________________

      " The article also states that the owner's legally owned and stored
      other firearms were removed by the police. Why? "

      - part of the investigation, according to the radio
      ______________________

      " Now I just hope that some nutbar politician in Ottawa does not use
      this incident as a rallying cry to legislate flintlocks into some kind of
      stupid law."

      Agreed, this or any accident with flint locks could close the door
      on flintlock use in Canada.
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 10, 2002
        In reviewing my message #13236 below, I must admit I don't think it
        is particularly appropriate to the discussion. Teddy was discussing
        artillery. We are talking about muskets or rifles.

        But I would say that the reproductions we use have modern
        steel barrels of much greater strenght than the originals. And being
        recent, have not suffered the depredations of time, neglect and
        uncertain maintenance. Anyone using a 150 year old plus original in
        re-enactment is an accident waiting to happen.

        Doug