Re: Musket Explosion

  • terry1813
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 4, 2002
      > From: "Leonard E Heidebrecht" <lheidebrecht@L...>
      >
      > I heard something on the radio this morning about a woman in the
      > Kitchener Ont area, being injured by a musket ... the owner had all
      > his other firearms (which were safe and not involved) seized by the
      > police

      Yes and this leads to a whole series of questions. Was the guy using
      black powder or modern powder? Did he put a ball down the muzzle? If
      so was it rammed all the way?
      The article also states that the owner's legally owned and stored
      other firearms were removed by the police. Why?
      Now I just hope that some nutbar politician in Ottawa does not use
      this incident as a rallying cry to legislate flintlocks into some
      kind of stupid law.

      Terry
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 10, 2002
        In reviewing my message #13236 below, I must admit I don't think it
        is particularly appropriate to the discussion. Teddy was discussing
        artillery. We are talking about muskets or rifles.

        But I would say that the reproductions we use have modern
        steel barrels of much greater strenght than the originals. And being
        recent, have not suffered the depredations of time, neglect and
        uncertain maintenance. Anyone using a 150 year old plus original in
        re-enactment is an accident waiting to happen.

        Doug