RE: [WarOf1812] towers

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
      Try http://www.martello-towers.co.uk/ it is probably the site Andrew is
      referring to, if not it should answer most of your questions on the topic.

      Peter Catley

      Subject: RE: [WarOf1812] towers

      A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
      consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
      degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
      floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
      quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
      by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
      have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
      about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
      ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.

      Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
    • alaidh
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Bateman, Andrew" <abateman@g...> wrote:
> [...]

        According to a book on US seacost fortifications, there were several
        Martello towers involved in the seaward defenses of New York harbor at
        the time of the War of 1812. At least one, if I remember correctly, was
        on the New Jersey side, about where Stevens Institute of Technology is
        today. I know a couple of grads who refere to "the old tower" that is
        on campus, on a bluff overlooking the lower approaches to the harbor.
        Would that be it, possibly??

        > > Hi Max,
        > >
        > > For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
        > > shot tower perhaps?
        >
        > A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
        > consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
        > degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
        > floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
        > quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
        > by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
        > have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
        > about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
        > ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.
        >
        > Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
      • colsjtjones2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
          There are 4 martello towers in the Kingston area - the Cedar Island
          tower - the Ft Frederick tower (Royal Naval Dockyard previously
          mentioned) - the Shoal Tower in the waters of Kingston Harbour -
          and the Murney tower in the southern approaches. Please note that
          the ditch towers at Ft Henry are not martellos.

          There are also a number of martellos in Canada to the east of
          Kingston. Refer to "Canadian Historic Sites - A History of Martello
          Towers in the Defence of British North America, 1796 - 1871". Ivan
          J. Saunders Canadian Historic Sites #15.

          Doug