Re: [WarOf1812] towers

  • JGIL1812@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
      There are six (6) towers in Kingston. All part of the forts outer defensive
      ring.

      JG/RE
    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
        Hi Max,

        For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
        shot tower perhaps?

        Regards,

        Bob Dorian
        US Engineer
        (Going to "fight the bloody British in a town called New Orleans")
      • Bateman, Andrew
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002

          A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
          consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
          degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
          floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
          quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
          by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
          have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
          about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
          ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.

          Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
            Try http://www.martello-towers.co.uk/ it is probably the site Andrew is
            referring to, if not it should answer most of your questions on the topic.

            Peter Catley

            Subject: RE: [WarOf1812] towers

          • alaidh
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
              --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Bateman, Andrew" <abateman@g...> wrote:
> [...]

              According to a book on US seacost fortifications, there were several
              Martello towers involved in the seaward defenses of New York harbor at
              the time of the War of 1812. At least one, if I remember correctly, was
              on the New Jersey side, about where Stevens Institute of Technology is
              today. I know a couple of grads who refere to "the old tower" that is
              on campus, on a bluff overlooking the lower approaches to the harbor.
              Would that be it, possibly??

              > > Hi Max,
              > >
              > > For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
              > > shot tower perhaps?
              >
              > A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
              > consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
              > degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
              > floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
              > quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
              > by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
              > have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
              > about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
              > ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.
              >
              > Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
            • colsjtjones2000
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                There are 4 martello towers in the Kingston area - the Cedar Island
                tower - the Ft Frederick tower (Royal Naval Dockyard previously
                mentioned) - the Shoal Tower in the waters of Kingston Harbour -
                and the Murney tower in the southern approaches. Please note that
                the ditch towers at Ft Henry are not martellos.

                There are also a number of martellos in Canada to the east of
                Kingston. Refer to "Canadian Historic Sites - A History of Martello
                Towers in the Defence of British North America, 1796 - 1871". Ivan
                J. Saunders Canadian Historic Sites #15.

                Doug